Is this cider infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKing

Reaction score
What do y'all think of these ciders? I made this way back in the fall. It sort of fell off my radar and never bottled. They're both made with brett (one all brett, the other brett and a more traditional cider yeast). I waited so long to take a look at these that the vodka in my airlock dried up, so they were both exposed to the ambient air somewhat. Only thing I can really see on them is a white, very thin film on the top. When I agitated the bottles much of the material on the top fell down into the cider - and I couldn't see it as much on top. The one that's more spotted didn't do that as much.
IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

It looks like a bit of mold. I’ve racked/bottled beer from under mold once and it turned out fine. I did drink quickly for fear it had more nasties in it.

Nothing ventured nothing lost. I’d taste a bit then package it and see how it turned out.

Looks nasty. Rack the cider out from under it, then add one crushed Campden tablet per gallon to kill it.

Sounds like a plan. I have some K meta hanging around. After I rack and add the sulfites do I have to let it sit for a period before bottling? Or can I do the K meta, sugar and bottle all at once?

It might be safest to wait a couple weeks before bottling to make sure the odd mold film doesn't return. Otherwise you could get gushers or bombs from the wild beasts.

Back