Is this boiling enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a new 8 gallon aluminum pot at Wal-Mart ($21) and boiled for an hour to cure it. Until now, all of my brews have been extract or partial mashes so I didn't need to do a full boil. I would like to start doing all-grain BIAB, like my partials have been. This pot almost covers 2 of my gas stove burners but the boil seems weak to me.

Is it enough boil to brew with?

What are the problems with a boil that isn't hard enough?

What is the best way to get a stronger boil?
I have thought of making a jacket for the pot from flashing, adding an electric heatstick, or buying a propane turkey burner.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/video/a-weak-boil-574.html

For some reason, that didn't work for me so I can't see your boil.

You want a "rolling boil"- that is when the bubbles roll and break. Not a simmer, but a rolling boil.

Kind of hard to tell how vigorous that boil was. The importance of a full vigorous boil in AG is to drive off DMS and get good hop utilization. remember that while your plain water may look like a good boil, wort is denser and heavier and requires more to really get a good boil going.

While you are spanning two burners and that may get you a good boil many people have difficulty with achieving this on a traditional stove and go with a propane burner outdoors. IF you want, try an extract batch with a full volume boil. DME is not an issue with extract but the density of the wort is similar to AG so it would be a good experiment to try first.

Latest posts

Back