Is this batch ruined?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRadargrunt

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at home brewing and need some advice on whether this batch is ruined. 2 weeks into fermenting in the carboy, I noticed that the plastic screw cap on the carboy was cracked. The beer looks fine and smells like beer, but there was what I think is mold at the top and the yeast at the bottom looks like some of the infected yeast pictures I had seen online. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392143615.103784.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392143630.081088.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392143641.819998.jpg
Is this batch done for?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks perfect. While your beer is fermenting all the flow of gas is out so the cracked cap isn't letting anything in. When the yeast are done, the beer has a cap of CO2 which prevents things from growing on your beer too. What you are seeing on the top of the beer are rafts of yeast carried up by the bubbles of CO2 that is still coming out of the beer. RDWHAHB

Looks fine to me but if you were trying to capture a shot of the mold, it didn't come through. If there is mold near the top then get it out of there quick, and use an auto-siphon.

I think the "mold" he is referring to are the hops stuck to the side near the opening.

I agree with RM-MN. Your beer looks fine, and if it smells okay, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, if you are referring to the gunk on the neck of your carboy, it appears to be hop residue (not mold), therefore the green color. Cheers!

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured the green ring was dried hops. I was afraid of the white stuff floating at the top and along the edge of the beer along the car boy which RM-MN pointed are yeast rafts. In the process of siphoning into bottles and keeping my fingers crossed for some drinkable IPA at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back