Is this batch infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day was 4-19, 1056 yeast. My prior 2 batches had infections so I took extra care to clean and sanitize everything.

The white foam on the top looks a little funny to me n seems to be getting larger..this is 7 days after high krausen.

I'm getting a bubble every minute or so through the air lock so I know there's still some fermenting going on.. Maybe it's just going into a second fermintation?

Dunno, I've brewed maybe 25 batches but now I'm extra cautions with the last few infections.

How can I tell if there's an infection? Any opinions based on these posted images.
BD was 4-19, these pcis were just taken 4-30

I2.jpg

I3.jpg

I4.jpg

is it fuzzy or are those just bubbles? looks like normal fermentation to me, but it does seem odd for it to be that bubbly after 11 days.

They are just bubbles, there's definitely no chunks or anything really caking together. Maybe I'll just pull a hydro sample, do a reading and see what it tastes like.

This is why I primary in plastic buckets.. Let it set for two weeks then transfer.. I haven't seen anything like this, but when I secondaried to my glass carboy a couple of times I have gotten worried about infection, but after kegging I have realized that I was just paranoid.

I have buckets but I like peeking in on it and especially during high krausen..It is covered in my black Raiders jacket and kept in 65d wine fridge until transfer to keezer/kegs

Taste it!

The nose knows (or tongue in this case).

It does look like normal fermentation though.

It looks ok to me. I just had a IIPA that still had an inch of foaming krausen after 2 weeks and was bubbkling every 30 seconds or so. It smelled fine coming through airlock and a week later all was settled and done.

I think you are good.
:mug:

This just looks like good healthy yeast. I'd let it go and give it a taste test before you bottle.

Back