Is This Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So I have a double ipa in secondary right now, its been there for about 2 weeks now. I had it in primary for 1 week.

I've noticed that tiny bubbles are STILL going up to the top of the better bottle. And there's a big ole krausen on top. I know, i should be taking hydrometer readings, but I don't have one. I've read about CO2 coming out of solution due to temperature changes and such, but this has been going steady for 2 weeks now, and it seems like it's still fermenting against all logic.

I've never seen a secondary fermenter act like this before. To make matters worse, I think it's starting to smell funny, like dirty socks. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but let me know whatchya think.

Peace
DG

It means, since you don't have a hydrometer, that you racked too soon and fermentation is continuing in the secondary. That's why you need a hydrometer, to determine completion of fermentation before you rack. Or else you may have stuck fermentation or off flavors from taking the beer off the most yeast before it is complete.

Fermentation often smells funny. Wouldn't worry about this.

It's pretty clear that fermentation is not done. Invest in a hydrometer for next time. Don't rack the beer until your gravity is stable for a few days, bubbles or no bubbles.

Most of the vets here stay in primary for threeish weeks. Some secondary, many do not.

But really, without a hydrometer, you have no way of knowing if fermentation is done. More bottle bombs, lower quality beer.

After three weeks how is it still going? That's just crazy isn't it? Even if i did rack it early it shouldn't slow it down THAT much right?

Some yeasts take longer than others. Also depends on your temp at which fermentation is taking place. Ale yeasts will take longer at cooler temps.

You really need to get a hydrometer.

Also... for your next batch try letting the beer go for at least 2 weeks in the PRIMARY and see the difference.

Gary

It can slow it down or even stall it. Get a hydrometer & leave it in primary till a stable FG is reached. This is one game where you can't cut corners. It'll be able to do it's job better if left in primary till it's done.

the recipes i get from maltose express(my LHBS) that i've seen ALL call for 1 week in primary and then to secondary to FG and clear.

so they are totally wrong?

Or spend about $40 on a refractometer on eBay (0-35 Brix). It only takes me an eyedropper of beer to test my gravity and it allows me to take a lot of readings during the boil so I can hit my post-boil OG on the money.

Either way, you need something to measure gravity with.

the recipes i get from maltose express(my LHBS) that i've seen ALL call for 1 week in primary and then to secondary to FG and clear.

so they are totally wrong?

Yes!! No LHBS on Earth can tell you in advance what day your fermentation will end...it is very ballpark and usually too early when they do.

They will turn out fine. Just next time, let it sit in the primary until you get a stable FG. Or hell, just don't even rack at all... I don't. I still get clear beer.

The second brew I ever did (a Mac & Jacks Amber clone)... I racked over to a secondary waaaayyyy too early. About 6 or 7 days. Then I left it in the secondary for about 12 to 14 days. The beer turned out just fine.

The next time I brewed the same beer... I left it in the Primary for around 20 days. I bottled it and let it condition in the bottles for another 20 days. It was waaayyyy yummier the second time around.

Gary

Back