Is this at all possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
For the pre-boil gravity reading to be higher then the original gravity(into the fermenter)?

I am thinking that I read the hydrometer incorrectly. My pre-boil reading was 1.061 @ 70F. My reading into the fermenter was 1.058 @ 70F.

Isn't the gravity reading into the fermenter supposed to be HIGHER then the pre-boil gravity? Mine was the opposite.

According to Beersmith my pre-boil should have been 1.041 and OG should have been 1.049.

What are you using? All-grain? Extract? It's possible that the wort wasn't mixed thoroughly in the sample you pulled. Or, you read it wrong. Either way, .061 and .058 are pretty close.

More info added above.

I am brewing all grain.

I did add 1/2 gallon to the fermenter to top it off to 5 gallons. I aerated the snot out of it.

how about stratification?
if you took the sample from the pre-boil without a vigorous stir, and you are doing AG, the heavy sugar is at the bottom of the brewpot before the boil...

Back