Is this advisable? - wiring up a pump switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I'm assembling a Countertop Brutus setup, though I am doing my first few runs on the stove and not building out the elaborate control box. For now, I just want to put the pump on a switch.

My pump is a Little Giant 2-MD with a wiredon plug. To put it on a switch, I'm thinking of getting an extension cord, cutting it and placing a wall switch (in a box) inline. Then, on the socket end of the extension cord, I plug in the pump.

I should be able to turn the pump on and off with the switch and not need to cut the pump's cord. I'll mount the outlet box on the inside of the 5 gallon bucket and tuck all the wires away inside.

Any guidance on identifying the wires inside an expention cord? Maybe I can find a clear one. Haha

I'm assembling a Countertop Brutus setup, though I am doing my first few runs on the stove and not building out the elaborate control box. For now, I just want to put the pump on a switch.

My pump is a Little Giant 2-MD with a wiredon plug. To put it on a switch, I'm thinking of getting an extension cord, cutting it and placing a wall switch (in a box) inline. Then, on the socket end of the extension cord, I plug in the pump.

I should be able to turn the pump on and off with the switch and not need to cut the pump's cord. I'll mount the outlet box on the inside of the 5 gallon bucket and tuck all the wires away inside.

Any guidance on identifying the wires inside an expention cord? Maybe I can find a clear one. Haha

Sure, no problem doing it this way. The extension cord will typically have a white (neutral), a black (hot) and a green (ground). You want to wire the black to the switch and run the white straight trough. While you are at it, you may want to install a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) for added safety. It seems you don't have a lot of electrical experience. Might be a good idea to have a friend or neighbor help you out with this. It's not difficult to do, but it is important to get it right. Especially so when using the equipment in wet areas.

I use a remote controlled switch for my pump. It's one that they sell for controlling christmas lights. Nice thing is that it's plug and play. No wiring required and they are cheap at about $10. I have it plugged into my GFCI wall receptacle.

Yes. That would be easier. Thinking about the setup of my kitchen and how much of a slob I am, I was hoping to contain as much of the electricals in the bucket for an enclosure. ;)

Catt22, Thanks. Definitely heeding the GFCI advice. This will be plugged into a GCFI outlet in the kitchen at all times, until I have a chance to build a conteroller box with the PID and such. That won't be until I convert to electric. So I'm going bare bones right now. :)

I've done a lot of typical home electrical stuff. But there's usually something there to take out and the new stuff goes back in the same way. Haha. I'l be working with a friend who's father ran a contracting firm. So he'll be there to keep me from doing anything overtly stupid.

Back