Is this a scam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
In the local online ads there is a Bobcat skid loader for sale. $2600. A quick search of the internet show that in the condition it is in they are around 10K.

I emailed the guy and got this response.

What do you think? Does this sound weird? Bobcats for sale around the country in this shape are around 10K.

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in my bobcat. First of all I want to tell you that the bobcat is still available and the price of $2600 includes all the shipping costs and insurance. This bobcat is in perfect condition, works like new, with no shaking or unusual noises, no mechanical defects. It has 900 hours, 22,5 HP, with diesel engine. I have opened a farm two years ago in Omaha, NE but it is not working anymore and I decided with my partner to cover some money by selling all the units that we have. I hope that you understand my situation, this bobcat is already at the shipping company along with all the papers. I want to use Escrow Staff from eBay for this transaction. So, please reply back if you are really interested in purchasing this bobcat so I can give you more information about payment and start the arrangements.
Thank you

Well anything's possible in this economy.

The fact that he wants to use Ebay Escrow does bode well for his legitimacy. But who knows? Do those things have vin numbers? Can they be run to see if it's stolen or not?

Likely. Physically check it out if you're interested. Escrow is a good sign.

Could be the fire sale before the bank gets it too.

Scam... (at that price, he could sell it locally - no reason to deal with shipping, and he'd get a cash payment instantly)

I vote scam. I saw a lot of similarly ridiculously low priced units when searching for a commercial mower a while back. If it sounds too good to be true...

Buy it Now for that or is that the current bid?
Scam for sure if buy it now.
I was looking for a skidsteer a couple years ago and saw one very similar. Emailed the guy directly and he said his account had been Hi-Jacked.
If it sounds too good chances are it is.

I wouldn't buy it unless I could see it in person. Ask if that's possible. If not, don't buy. How do you know it really is in good condition? Maybe even pay for it on the spot. Cash helps too, nobody likes to turn down cash for alternative forms of payment.

Scam, a lot of these scammers want to use eBay cause it makes em seem legit, but ebay's buyers insurance doesn't cover certain things, like cars for example. I think the old "too good to be true" applies here for sure.

Scam. Scam. Scam!

I saw something very similar on Craigslist last year when looking at trucks. The deal looked too good to be true. The seller claimed a sob story about a spouse's death and that the truck was currently in Canada (though listed in Texas). It could be shipped immediately. The transaction was to take place using a PayPal service that only exists for eBay auctions (sounds a lot like the escrow service you describe). A quick scan of eBay's and PayPal's policies along with the inability to physically inspect the truck sent me running quickly away.

I have opened a farm two years ago in Omaha, NE
Thank you

Dude, you don't open farms. And you don't see too many in Omaha(sounds pretty down-home unless you have ever been to Nebraska). This guy might be full of ****.

I emailed him back asking if this was an ebay bid item or a buy it now price. This was his response.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I want to use Escrow Staff from eBay for this transaction as it is the safest for both of us.Let me explain how it works:
First of all I will need your full name and shipping address so I can register the transaction with ebay motors. Once you receive the details from ebay motors, this bobcat will be reserved for you until you read the details and decide if you want to proceed or not.You will have a 3 days inspection period, after the bobcat arrives at your address to make sure it is as shown in the photos and in good working order.If by any reason my bobcat is not as described or if you find any problems with it, I will arrange to ship it back on my cost.The payment will be sent to ebay motors and they will hold it until the inspection period is over and you decide if you're going to buy it or not.This way you're not going to pay for something you haven't seen and with the inspection period you can make sure it's as described.If you agree with this terms please reply with your full name and address so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you

I emailed him back asking if this was an ebay bid item or a buy it now price. This was his response.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I want to use Escrow Staff from eBay for this transaction as it is the safest for both of us.Let me explain how it works:
First of all I will need your full name and shipping address so I can register the transaction with ebay motors. Once you receive the details from ebay motors, this bobcat will be reserved for you until you read the details and decide if you want to proceed or not.You will have a 3 days inspection period, after the bobcat arrives at your address to make sure it is as shown in the photos and in good working order.If by any reason my bobcat is not as described or if you find any problems with it, I will arrange to ship it back on my cost.The payment will be sent to ebay motors and they will hold it until the inspection period is over and you decide if you're going to buy it or not.This way you're not going to pay for something you haven't seen and with the inspection period you can make sure it's as described.If you agree with this terms please reply with your full name and address so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you

A big pile of lie. Just go to ebay motors and read the giant Craigslist scam alert on the front page, you have been warned.

_

Scammy scam scam. He may as well sign his emails with "Love in scamming perpetuity, Scammy McScammerson"

I don't think it's necessarily an identity theft thing by virtue of sending your name and address (you can get that from a phone book). Most likely, he'll send you a link to a fake escrow service that you'll send money to and poof, it's gone.

Back