Is this a normal smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaohpierre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Hefeweizen and its on day 3. I have it inside my rigged freezer for temperature control. i usually use a 3 piece airlock but i was worried about the krausen getting too high so I'm using a blowoff tube connected to a bowl of sanitized water. So im opening the door to the fridge and this potent sulfur rotten egg smell is coming out. It's strong. I'm using wyest 3068 weihenstephan yeast.
I've heard of lager yeast giving off a smell like this but not wheat yeast. Should i be concerned? Otherwise the fermentation is going nicely.

I think it's the yeast giving off the sulfur smell. There are a few yeasts out there that give off that smell during fermentation. But it goes away as the beer finishes fermenting & conditions.

I have a hefe with 3068 going at 64F right now. It keeps barely going up into the airlock and makes the whole chamber smell like straight bananas. I'm not getting any sulfur, but I know thats not necessarily an alarming smell for any yeast...

I have had a few yeast strains throw sulfur smells before and the beers turned out great.

Totally normal. Hefe I just made smelled like farts during primary. Beer smells and tastes great though!

I also used 3068 for my hefe, and yeah it throws some funky smells. Nothing to be concerned about. Though it definitely freaked me out a bit the first time too haha
Good call on the blow off instead of 3-piece! I made that mistake once...never again!!
I have a dent in my ceiling with a black ring and splatter... (black currant hefe)
That was fun dealing with after a really ****e day at work.
My only advice would be, don't drink it young. From what I've noticed that yeast benefits greatly from extra time.
I went with 3-4 weeks primary, and 3 weeks cold conditioned/carb. Ended up with clean, crisp, and delicious hefe.

Back