Is this a good IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
2.5 gals.

Grain Bill
7 pounds 2 row
.5 pounds caramel 40
.5 pounds Munich

Hops
.75oz Columbus 60min
.5oz Centennial 30min
.5oz Chinook 20min
.5oz Centennial 10min
.5oz Chinook 5min
.5oz Columbus 5min
.5oz Centennial 1min

Dry hop with 1.5 oz Centennial and .75oz of Columbus.
OG: 1.082
IBUS: 115
Yeast: Wyeast 1056

I still have an oz of chinook left. Dry hop with it?
Any suggestions that I should take something out. It's Yoopers stone ruination clone with columbus subbing for bittering. And I added the rest of columbus and chinook cause I wanted to get rid of it

Lol well I added the late columbus additions and all of chinook. I was wondering if it would still be good.

That's really an imperial IPA with that much alcohol and hops. I think Yooper's is 1.077 OG. I would personally lower the grain bill a little bit to get it into the 1.07X range, but that's up to you.

BrewThruYou said:
That's really an imperial IPA with that much alcohol and hops. I think Yooper's is 1.077 OG. I would personally lower the grain bill a little bit to get it into the 1.07X range, but that's up to you.

Well would it be a good IIPA? I kinda wanted it to be pretty big and hoppy. So is it still gonna be good? That's what I'm worried about

Well would it be a good IIPA? I kinda wanted it to be pretty big and hoppy. So is it still gonna be good? That's what I'm worried about

Yes, it looks really good! You could even cut the 60 minute columbus hops down to .50 ounce and have a little less harshness (I find columbus a bit harsh) with good results, but there is nothing wrong with it as written, either!

i'm not sure what qualifies a beer to be a IPA , Double, or a Imperial...but that recipe looks like its going to be a very big hoppy beer...

Yooper said:
Yes, it looks really good! You could even cut the 60 minute columbus hops down to .50 ounce and have a little less harshness (I find columbus a bit harsh) with good results, but there is nothing wrong with it as written, either!

Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll keep it at .75. I want it kinda harsh. Like it's beating down your taste buds:D

i'm not sure what qualifies a beer to be a IPA , Double, or a Imperial...but that recipe looks like its going to be a very big hoppy beer...

According to BJCP 2008 Guidelines:

American IPA: OG 1.056 to 1.075 & 40 to 70 IBU
Imperial IPA: OG 1.070 to 1.090 & 60 to 120 IBU

However, there is some overlap. If you enter in comps, you'll need to be at the high range for sure on PAs, IPAs, IIPAs. The judges' buds are wrecked. If you enter a 1.056 40 IBU IPA, they'll call it an underhopped pale ale.

Yeah, it looks good.

Looks good. I got use to a nice bold IIPA made back in Jan (1.090), but just ran out last week. Loving having a beer like this to get the weekend started off right. It had a very similar grain bill + a pint of honey. Just throw in some honey so your sure it will pack the punch you're looking for :)

Yoop, how harsh is Columbus? I used your House Pale Ale as a base recipe and used a combo of Columbus and Centennial on this go around (I've made variations of that recipe a few times now). I know the IBU's are going to be well above style, but I'm hoping it's still good - first time I've ever used that combo.

coastwx said:
Looks good. I got use to a nice bold IIPA made back in Jan (1.090), but just ran out last week. Loving having a beer like this to get the weekend started off right. It had a very similar grain bill + a pint of honey. Just throw in some honey so your sure it will pack the punch you're looking for :)

And it will dry it out? I'm getting an expected FG of 1.021. I wanted to get it a little lower. That would dry it out some right?

Or is 1.021 good for the style since it's really hoppy. I don't want it to be a dry and thin hoppy beer.

Latest posts

Back