Is this a good Grain Mill/Flaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I came across this site Family Grain Mill - Homestead Products and was curious about having a mill or flaker for use at home with grains I purchase to make beer.

Can you look at the items and suggest either, both or none?

I have a KitchenAid mixer at home and was leaning towards this item
fam_hg.jpg
for purchase. Is the price to high for what I am getting and would you recommend it? ($158.00 with kitchenaid attachment)

Thanks for any feedback you might offer.

Salute! :mug:

Not recomended IMO, for the money you can get a nice roller mill that is specifically made to crush barley. $158 dollars can buy a mill and a power drill. I think the K/A type attachment are more suited to baking where you are looking to process a few cups of grain, not for running sacks of grain.

++ Don't recommend KA attachment. Have not read of anyone using it with great success. I have a newish KA mixer in the garage gathering dust as I think the newer appliance they make suck! I replaced ours with a Bosch which is far superior. You could probably rig up something to use the KA as the motor to drive a Barley Crusher.

+++ why pay MORE for something not designed to crush malted grain?

Send me $160 and I will send you a Barley Crusher, okay :D

Back