Is this a good deal for kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
4 used ball locks for $160 plus $22 shipping from Austin Home Brew? Been considering getting into kegging with the tax return.

Yeah that puts them at $45 a piece. Unfortunately there is no market in my small town area on Craigslist.

It's a pretty average price. Adventures in Homebrewing has similar deals at times. Their NEW Chinese-made kegs went for around $75 a piece a few months ago, again during a special sale.

Make sure they are REAL ball lock kegs and not converted pin locks. Pin locks are wider and a bit shorter, fewer fit in a keezer. Also, the lids should be real ball lock lids and have a manual release PRV valve. The old pinlock lids have a PRV under a dome, so you need to vent the keg with a loose quick disconnect on the gas post, a bit of a hassle when purging.

Just saw brand new "torpedo" kegs on more beer, $90 for 5 gallon and smaller kegs that stack with fittings attached, they look solid and new is nice

I went for the deal a couple of weeks back. Two of the kegs were in pretty good shape. The other two were pretty gnarly. All 4 came pressurized.

Each one got a thorough cleaning w/ PBW, both inside and out and all their O-rings replaced. I'm still getting all my components together, so I'm not sure if they hold pressure after their reconditioning.

I pay 40 per off kijiji. They come pressurized but have a pop smell to them. Rubbing alcohol works great.

That's a good price. The best deal I've seen lately has ended up being over $50 shipped for true ball locks. Pin locks tend to be -$10. Make sure they're not covered pin kegs with ball posts. Those tend to be cheaper as well.

Keg connection has a sale going on. 1/2 a keg with the purchase of a keg kit. However there was a loophole. Choose the basic kit. Remove all options and your down to $2.50ish for a beer line. So it was $42.42 for a used ball lock keg and 5' of beer line with a ffl on the end. Just up the qty in the cart and get as many "kits" as you like. $7.95 flat rate shipping. Got 8 for $43.5 shipped each. They also have a limit of four when you buy just the keg. They were the cleanest used kegs I've purchased.

However I just looked again...and it appears they fixed the loophole. I got lucky.

Back