Is This A Crazy Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGT Hophead

Reaction score
I was reading a Charlie Papazian journal entry....

He was in Italy looking for homebrewes when he came across this guy who was fermenting an IPA

The guy had put headphones around the fermentor and was blasting Indian Sitar music....

They guy's explanation was based off a scientific study that music can be used as an tool to make living organisms mature stronger...also known as the Motzart effect

and since yeast is consitered a living organism, why not give it a chance to mature stronger

SO HERE IS WHAT I AM GOING TO DO...

I'm making a good ol' Summer Wheaten Ale...and during the primary fermentation...I was going to put some headphones around the carboy and blast some beach boys...or some Calypso steel Drums....any summer tunes

does this sound like a crazy idea?

has anybody else tried this?

at any rate, please let me know what you think

Lupulinly Yours,

Hop Head

Sure, why not? At least something interesting to tell your friends.

But, it is quite possible that the vibrations from the sound to affect the yeast, but I can't see it making that big of a difference.

You could experiment with different types of music and see how it affects yeast attenuation. For example:

Heavy Metal: Cause a beer to super-attenuate making a high abv beer out of a normal OG wort.
Rap: Two yeast gangs continually go at it and your beer never finishes fermenting.

Just messing with you. I haven't played music to my wort yet, but have been known to talk to my hops and full keg.

1) The science behind the Mozart Effect is weak at best. Most researching psychologists either attribute it to placebo effect or mood altering. Also, the Mozart Effect has nothing to do with maturation.
2) Yeast is not only "considered" a living organism, it is a living organism.

That being said, playing music to your beer is silly and the behavior of an alcoholic, which is why I am surprised I haven't tried it yet.

Not Crazy at all.

I've been placing my carboys under a non-ferrous tubular metal pyramid with the aligning edge pointed to true North with excellent results.

I'm naming the next batch "Bock Like An Egyptian"

Hoppy

Not Crazy at all.

I've been placing my carboys under a non-ferrous tubular metal pyramid with the aligning edge pointed to true North with excellent results.

I'm naming the next batch "Bock Like An Egyptian"

Hoppy

I saw this on MythBusters... Can't remember if it was busted, plausible or true.

i'm ahead of you.

while bottling my latest tripel, i lined all the finished bottles right up against the speakers of my boombox, playing "Abbey Road" by The Beatles... with the same theory about musical vibration effecting the yeast...

I figured the music was an appropriate choice for the trappist yeast...

:fro:

for the record, that tripel turned out fantastic!

i'm trying to get my yeast to listen to better music. i go to work leaving them with thrash, then when i come home they've got some crappy screamo or doom metal band on.

i think i'll lock them in the closet for a few days with nothing but grindcore. that'll teach 'em.

I saw this on MythBusters... Can't remember if it was busted, plausible or true.

I saw that episode too. Here's a description of the experiment they did and the results.

Experiment: Talking helps plants grow.
Result: plausible

Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

1) The science behind the Mozart Effect is weak at best. Most researching psychologists either attribute it to placebo effect or mood altering.
+1. Yeah, the "Mozart effect" in children is so close to total bollocks as to be indistinguishable from it - though that hasn't stopped people making money by selling stuff based on it.

That said, I'm not aware of any research that looks at the Mozart effect in yeast. So by God, we should definitely try it. Good beer is at stake!

That said, I'm not aware of any research that looks at the Mozart effect in yeast. So by God, we should definitely try it. Good beer is at stake!

I'm no scientist, but I would think the the viberations the music make would rattle the yeast at a molecular level, and this could cause them to work harder. Then comes in my Dad's though, "If it doesn't kill ya, it'll only make you stronger."

Thrash 'til death!.

well, sometimes they listen to

logodeathtravsmalllw6.jpg

too

:D :rockin:

I saw that episode too. Here's a description of the experiment they did and the results.

Experiment: Talking helps plants grow.
Result: plausible

The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

SSSSSSLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR!

:rockin:

i'm ahead of you.

while bottling my latest tripel, i lined all the finished bottles right up against the speakers of my boombox, playing "Abbey Road" by The Beatles... with the same theory about musical vibration effecting the yeast...

I figured the music was an appropriate choice for the trappist yeast...

:fro:

for the record, that tripel turned out fantastic!

"And in the end, the beer you take is equal to the wort... you make!" :tank:

and

"Yeasterday... all my dubbels seemed so far away!" :D

the only way you should even consider doing this is with a split batch, using one as a control.

has anyone seen "wtf to we know"? there is a bit about taping a sign with the word "love" to a jug of water and having it alter the molecules. granted, it's complete horse ****, but until i did some research on it i was ready to start writing on my carboys.

the only way you should even consider doing this is with a split batch, using one as a control.

has anyone seen "wtf to we know"? there is a bit about taping a sign with the word "love" to a jug of water and having it alter the molecules. granted, it's complete horse ****, but until i did some research on it i was ready to start writing on my carboys.

off topic - just so you know that film was funded by a cult. their leader is a woman who claims to be inhabited a 5000 year old spirit named rathma. there was a great salon.com article exposing that farce of a movie.

1) Start a brewery
2) Make all your beers like that
3) Use weird music idea as a marketing ploy
4) Profit

Going back to the OP - did anyone see the Mythbusters where they grew plants with different music playing, of course with one silent as a control. It was pretty interesting.

If we're going to necro a thread about someone using sound in brewing, we might as well add some new content. :)

Sam "Dogfish Head" Caligione has a new "brewing show" on Youtube... and one of the episodes does something with this.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEhM9EzcFE[/ame]

There is only one song I'll play for my beers.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awzyLJFh1lQ"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awzyLJFh1lQ[/ame]

New to the site, assumed that since it popped up at the bottom of another feed, it was something recent. No need to be an ass about it.

It's also a reference to South Park. Kind of.

Back