is this a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my last brew I was having a hard time getting it down to temp to pitch the yeast.
It was late and I was getting tired.
I went ahead and tossed the wort in my bucket, added the top off water put the lid on and let it sit till the next morning.
I got up and pitched my yeast and its bubbling away nicely.
Are there any risks I am taking by doing this?

Nope, search no chill brewing. There's people on here that do that all the time and produce great beer.

Some argue that without pitching the yeast soon that the wort is an inviting environment for bacteria to get a foothold, however, if your sanitation practice is good the no chill method is ok. Personally, dropping the brew kettle into an ice bath for 30 mins then pitching the yeast works for me.

So my last brew I was having a hard time getting it down to temp to pitch the yeast.
It was late and I was getting tired.
I went ahead and tossed the wort in my bucket, added the top off water put the lid on and let it sit till the next morning.
I got up and pitched my yeast and its bubbling away nicely.
Are there any risks I am taking by doing this?

Yeah, I did the sink full of ice/water bath thing like two or three times. Now I just let it cool over night. Works well for me. I always wondered about hops steeping in warm wort over night, but it makes good beer.

Most no-chill brewers move the wort to the fermenter while it's hot enough to kill bacteria and then seal the fermenter. Moving it after it's partially cooled then waiting overnight to pitch isn't ideal, but isn't really worse than many historical practices (google "Steam Beer"). Most of the time it will be fine, but will be more prone to infection than more modern practices.

Latest posts

Back