Is this a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0ug

Reaction score
The clamps that is. Yes? No?

questionbadidea.jpg

Yes. Bad idea. You'd probably be better off sticking it in a plastic tub, then just lay the lid on top with some aluminum foil on it.

I think it's a fine idea....In byo a few years back they showed hot to make a 35 gallon fermenter out of a rubbermade brute garbage can, and used a similar clamp setup to hold the lid down.

That lid must not be nearly as hard to take off as my Ale Pail. That, or you have the most ridiculous fermentation activity ever!

It looks to me like the lid is bulging, which means the blowoff tube is likely stopped up and pressure is building up. Eventually that pressure is going to go somewhere, whether it blows the lid off, splits the bucket, or just shoots all over the place when you try to open it.

stageseven, I understand your concern about the plugged blow off tube, but it is clear and krausen and CO2 are running freely through it.

This is an extract based wee heavey. The og was 1.083. I am using the wyeast scottish ale strain (#1728, 2 packs, no starter) and I'm fermenting at an ambient temp of 60*f for at minimum a month long primary.

Because of the high OG, coolish fermentation temps, and a tendency for extracts to finish high I tried to help the yeasts out by aerating the wort (Shook the bucket like hell for 1.5 min) and using a tablespoon of Fermax (yeast nutrient). It had started out gassing co2 yesterday, but today it has really taken off! I guess it worked.

I will keep visually checking the blow off tube for blockage, but I expect the tube would blow off before the pail splits. Maybe I'm in for a surprise, we'll see.

Good point though the pressure does need to go somewhere, I just really don't want to have to clean off my ceiling.

Cheers :mug:

Ok, maybe this is just an optical illusion that's making me see the lid really bulging, or a factor of the clamps. If the blowoff is working fine then no problems. Is the lid just so loose that you need the clamps to hold it on?

No, the lid fits tightly and it is really bulging (hence the clamps), even though the tube is clear. Yesterday I got worried that the cement floor it was on was too cold for it, so I lifted it onto the shelf, when I set it down the lid went "bonk" and bulged up and a torrent of gas came through the tube. (probably should have left it where it was :) ) The tube is probably not big enough (1/2" O.D., probably 3/8" I.D.?)

However, between the bulge in the lid and the pressure on the rim from the clamps the lid has a slight warp to it and I can hear hissing and see krausen(sp?) seeping out from around the edges at a few points. The tube really is free from obstructions though, must just be really high volumes of CO2 being put out right now.

Never thought of a Rubbermade garbage can as a fermenter! That would make one hell of a bottling bucket too.

An update, the angry beer has calmed down with no disasters. The pail didn't split, the lid didn't blow off and I've switched to a standard airlock because she's so calm.

I think I might have stretched the lid though, it seems to have developed a dome shape from the pressure and the clamps. I'll see if it's real and post a pic here after the fermentation is over.

Thanks to everyone who posted an opinion! :mug:

I dont see any issues with that, so long as it seals somehow. My first brew book written in the 70's didnt even suggest a lid, just a piece of cloth to keep debris out ..

trash can fermenter? yeah I'm gonna do a search for that right now ..

It was the may 2009 issue I think. That's the first time I posted something about it.

There's a BYO article about modding Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. They come in sizes up to 30 gallons and are food grade plastic. All they use are some spring clamps, a grommet and an airlock.

Dig it up...it is sweet!

You can have it on wheels, and use clamps to make the lid airtight, then poke a hole and add a grommet for an airlock...

This one...
1607.jpg

All you need is a grommet, keglube, an airlock and a 3-4 of these to hold down the lid during fermentation. You pop a hole in the lid and stick a grommet in for an airlock and use a little keg lube around the lid to make a good seal and clamp the lid down.

43004.jpg

Nice, I searched around a good bit for them.. makes sense and I think that it would be suitable for occasional use ... I want to start going stainless but large concials are $$... the virgin trashcan might be great for brewing up a quick 20 gallons of session ale for my friends who are afraid of flavor haha.. then I can stick to an old sanke for fermenting the good stuff.

Back