Is there crying allowed over spilled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
So my first batch was kegged on Sunday. A couple of hours ago I attached a picnic tap to it. (Kegerator isn't yet done and the keg is in a regular fridge.) A couple of hours later I go down and smell...beer. Turns out the picnic tap assembly (from an online vendor) didn't have a sufficiently tight connection between the hose and ball lock and beer had pumped out all over the inside of the fridge and all over the floor. Looks to me as if about half the keg got pumped out.

Did I mention that it's my first batch?

To make matters worse, I tasted some and it was really good. And now it's half gone before even drinking a proper pint. I really might cry. :(

.... but you should do leak-checks with water and starsan, not beer

:eek: Yeah, no kidding. Doh!

I spent a serious amount of time testing all my kegs and fittings for co2 leaks when I got them. I guess it never occurred to me to check for beer line leaks. I fairly certain it'll occur to me next time.

Tragedy! :( :( I'll sacrifi-- err, drink a few in your honor tonight! :tank:

I'm paranoid my cheap picnic taps will blow, so I hit the kegs with gas from my tank periodically and leave the gas disconnected. If they leak, they will only leak until the head pressure drops enough to stop the leak. The CO2 manifold will get some lovin' during my party coming up.

That sucks man. Look on the bright side, the keg is still half full, right! Sh*t does happen every once in a while. It's all part of the game. Drink the remaining half keg and be grateful it wasn't a dropped glass carboy.

Can we assume you did the right thing and got down on your hands and knees and slurped up a good drunk?

Dude. That's gross.

No, I soaked it up with old bath towels and wrung it out into pint glasses and drank it that way. The stuff soaked up from directly under the fridge was a bit gritty, but not too bad if you let it settle a bit.

Rule #1 for kegging: Everything leaks
Rule #2: If it isn't leaking now, it will leak when you turn your back.

Back