Is there a White Labs equivalent to WY 3822 Belgian Dark or WY 1581 Belgian Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
If the Googles are remotely accurate, 3822 comes from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck and 1581 from Brasserie Ellezelloise--both are Private Collection strains. My LHBS only carries White Labs and my club bank doesn't have either Wyeast strain. So, wondering if anyone knows of the same strains from any other yeast labs.

But they emailed me that I caught them mid site update and they don't have that yeast. The description really matched what I was looking for. I'm checking to see if they have WLP510 Bastogne, but if not I'm not sure what strain to try. Back to researching strains! Any suggestions?

Sweet, I'm on the Western Slope so I should get it pretty quickly if my LHBS doesn't happen to have it

I freaking love having a LHBS (8 years and this is the first time I've had one)! Called Scott at Lil Ole Winemaker and he has one WLP510 on hand and he's holding it for me [emoji482]

https://www.morebeer.com/products/wyeast-3822-belgian-dark-ale.html

I made a dark belgian (pils/special b/carafe 2) and a belgian imperial stout this year. great flavors from this yeast, but attenuation was poor. luckily I did split batches on both and used the other yeast cake to fully attenuate. dark with 3822 finished at 1.018, other cake took it to 1.009. stout 1.051/1.024. I'd recommend mixed fermentarion with WLP540 around 25% to get it to finish acceptably.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/wyeast-3822-belgian-dark-ale.html

I made a dark belgian (pils/special b/carafe 2) and a belgian imperial stout this year. great flavors from this yeast, but attenuation was poor. luckily I did split batches on both and used the other yeast cake to fully attenuate. dark with 3822 finished at 1.018, other cake took it to 1.009. stout 1.051/1.024. I'd recommend mixed fermentarion with WLP540 around 25% to get it to finish acceptably.
Thanks for the info! I'm kind of glad they didn't have it then, I can't afford a slow or finicky fermentation! But next time I make a More Beer order I'll get some, it looks like an interesting strain. What flavors did you notice in your brews?

I made a dark belgian (pils/special b/carafe 2) and a belgian imperial stout this year. great flavors from this yeast, but attenuation was poor. luckily I did split batches on both and used the other yeast cake to fully attenuate. dark with 3822 finished at 1.018, other cake took it to 1.009.

For a Belgian dark I'd say that 1.018 is more in style than 1.009, it's not a saison or tripel and the high ABV means that it carries a bit of sweetness pretty easily.

Thanks for the info! I'm kind of glad they didn't have it then, I can't afford a slow or finicky fermentation! But next time I make a More Beer order I'll get some, it looks like an interesting strain. What flavors did you notice in your brews?

Hard to describe for me. Not typical belgian (clove, etc), but works really well with dark worts. I highly recommend. I like the imperial stout I made with it better than the other half of the split fermented with Rochefort (dregs spun up from bottle of Rochefort 10).

For a Belgian dark I'd say that 1.018 is more in style than 1.009, it's not a saison or tripel and the high ABV means that it carries a bit of sweetness pretty easily.

I'd generally agree, but the body/mouthfeel from WY3822 is really good and works fine at 1.009. I used WY3739 for the other half of the split - don't like the flavors or thin mouthfeel.

Back