Is there a way to measure the ABV after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
My third batch ever is now ready to be consumed. I still haven't quite got the hang of the hydrometer, so is there a way to tell what the alcohol content is now? The brew is an Imperial IPA, which had extra malt extract and was dry-hopped.

I think my hydrometer readings were SG: 1.050 and FG: 1.020

I'm drinking one now, and my estimate, based on the original buzz :drunk:, is above 7%

I got a measurement of about 4.7% on a batch I'M drinking right now.. (pale ale).. It "feels" like a lot more.

Are the effects of homebrew more apparent then commercial beer? or, am I getting some placebo effect because ive been waiting so long, ha ha.

There are lots of calculators online:

Yes, I know - my question was, is there a way to measure it after the fact?

If it was an Imperial IPA, the gravity should have dropped further than 1.020. Sounds like there were attenuation problems - did you aerate the wort and pitch enough yeast?

Yes and yes. The fermentation was going like crazy. I know it should be more, and since I think the variable here is my hydrometer reading, I just wanted to know if I could measure the ABV right out of the bottle.

TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation

Is a good online calculator I use all the time, just plug in what you put into your beer, hit the volumes right and it should give you a good guestimate.

Very cool. I was thinking - maybe my hydrometer reading was 1.002 and not 1.020, which would put my brew at 6.3%. I entered everything into your calculator, and got ... 6.3%!

Very cool. I was thinking - maybe my hydrometer reading was 1.002 and not 1.020, which would put my brew at 6.3%. I entered everything into your calculator, and got ... 6.3%!

Just pour a sample of the beer directly from the bottle and measure it again. I'd just stick the hydrometer in the sample and let it sit overnight as the carbonation can give a low reading but it won't be off by too much. Remember to correct for temperature.

Yes, there is a very easy way to do it, and its actually the only proper way to do it in a short period of time.

Pour one of your beers in a glass, and then pour it into another glass. Just keep pouring between glasses many many times, at the very least until you see no more foam, then keep pouring it back and forth some more, just want to make sure the carb is all out of the beer.

Now one thing no one mentioned is the temperature, I think all hydrometers are meant for 60 degrees temps to be proper, so just throw a thermometer in there and when it hits 60 degrees go ahead and take the reading.

Easily done so long as you pour it back and forth a lot, otherwise you are going to get a very false reading from the carbonation.

You're just enjoying your beer more than what's at the store. 4.7 is 4.7, except Utah, Minnesota, and Kansas. There it's 3.2.

:)

Well in Minnesota at least it is only 3.2 if you buy it from a grocery store or a gas station that is not a liquor store. If you buy it from the liquor store it will have the same alcohol content as anywhere else. It just means if you want beer on a Sunday with the stupid blue laws you can only get 3.2 or you have to go to a bar.

Well in Minnesota at least it is only 3.2 if you buy it from a grocery store or a gas station that is not a liquor store. If you buy it from the liquor store it will have the same alcohol content as anywhere else. It just means if you want beer on a Sunday with the stupid blue laws you can only get 3.2 or you have to go to a bar.

i heard through the grapevine that the 3.2% reading is actually 3.2% ABW, which is essentially the same as a BMC 'Light' which are around 4.0% ABV...

i heard through the grapevine that the 3.2% reading is actually 3.2% ABW, which is essentially the same as a BMC 'Light' which are around 4.0% ABV...

From the reading I've done on these state laws in different states, 3.2 beer is by weight, thus you are correct on the abv...

The only post-bottling way is by boiling off the alcohol. You'll need a precision scale and a water-bath. Weigh out 100 grams of beer, then heat at 175F for about 20 minutes. Weigh it again and return it to the water-bath. Check it every five minutes until the weight stabilizes. This will give you the ABW.

Oh, it's not mine, but I'm very glad tasty brew has it on line. It works great and I use it for every batch planning and brewing. :mug:

. . . The brew is an Imperial IPA. . .

I think my hydrometer readings were SG: 1.050 and FG: 1.020
. . .

If it was an Imperial IPA, 1.050 sounds way low. I'll bet you had inadequate mixing of your wort and top-off water, thus leading to a low reading.

Since this was an extract brew, if you give the recipe, we can figure out what your OG was. FG is FG, so if you just de-gas and warm a sample of your finished beer to 60F or there abouts, you can measure the FG.

Latest posts

Back