Is there a use for these SS containers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I have seen these SS containers before and was wondering if anyone has ever used them. Possibly as a MLT, HLT, fermenter, etc? I realize the price is high but I have seen them at flea markets before for relatively cheap. They are double walled and all stainless with what appears to be very solid manufacturing. The website lists the temperature drop and it appears to drop quickly but then only drops 2 degrees over an hour. I'm assuming if it were heated with water prior to a strike this would be a great MLT with very minimal temp drop. Any thoughts?

Aervoid (airvoid) | Vacuum Beverage Dispenser (10 Gal.)

I remember seeing one for under $100 at a flea market in State College. This was before I was into brewing and thought of it as a water dispenser only.

I was thinking that they would work best as fermenters because it would be an easy transition to make them fully functional for that. They hold a vacuum so to transfer closed at 2-3psi should be no problem. It would be easy to take samples by taking the top off and a bubbler could be installed relatively easy in the top.

So are they basically double walled insulated containers, with a vacuum in between the walls (like a vacuum thermos)?

Anybody know what happens if you try to boil something in one of these things?

Just wondering....my guess is that that vacuum layer in between might insulate the contents from being heated from the outside (like it insulates contents from being cooled)? Would the only way to heat the contents would be to stick a heating source directly into it?

yeah, applying heat to the outside wouldn't help boil the contents, that's the whole point of insulation, right, to keep the inside a different temp from the outside?

as an MLT or a fermenter, though, it would be fantastic. conceptually it is the same as a plastic water cooler MLT, except that you can scrub the hell out of it, use whatever cleaning products you want, and use it as a fermenter.

gonna have to check out the flea markets..

as an MLT or a fermenter, though, it would be fantastic. conceptually it is the same as a plastic water cooler MLT, except that you can scrub the hell out of it, use whatever cleaning products you want, and use it as a fermenter.

I agree it being a good MLT, but not a fermenter. Trying to control temperature in that thing would be impossible with that insulating layer.

Furthermore, you'd be keeping in all of that heat that is generated from fermentation that you'd want to dissipate. Fermentation takes off, produces heat, causing the temp to rise, causing a further increase in fermentation activity, with more heat being generated.....etc., etc......fusel-alcohol city!!!!

My father-in-law has three containers much like that that were used as soup tureens during his time as a cook in the Navy. We always used them for potable water at deer camp...

hummmmm

I just think the container would lend itself to so many applications for brewing. It's hard to say, however, what all could be done with it without actually seeing it. I think filling it with glycol would be a cool idea for a fermenter or even fill the vacuum area with water to make sort of a double boiler as a mash tun. It would allow you to heat the mash without scorching the grain. Obviosly a HLT could be made from it by simply heating the water in your brew kettle and then transferring.

I think the best idea I have heard so far is the glycol jacketed fermenter. Does anyone know how hard these are to make (generally speaking)? From what I gather all I need is a fridge next to the fermenter, find a way to run glycol into the previous vacuum chamber from the freezer and back using something like an aquarium pump. Anyone care to join in who has made a glycol pump?

The Michigan Distillery at MBC has one but it has posts on the top, too, and is mounted on a wheeled frame.

They call it 'R2' as in R2D2, and use it as a transfer vessel, but it's gotta be near 25 gallons. Sourced at an auction, IIRC.

You would be insane to apply heat directly to that thing or any other sealed container. It may be essentially a sealed vacuum bottle, but there's no way to be sure that nothing hazardous is between the double walls. Even a small amount of water in there could be very dangerous.

They do have the potential for use as steam jacketed kettles with a few modifications. Not the way I want to go, but might be for someone else.

You would be insane to apply heat directly to that thing or any other sealed container. It may be essentially a sealed vacuum bottle, but there's no way to be sure that nothing hazardous is between the double walls. Even a small amount of water in there could be very dangerous.

They do have the potential for use as steam jacketed kettles with a few modifications. Not the way I want to go, but might be for someone else.

If you were to put water into the vacuum chamber and then heat the container the vacuum would be broken and it would not be a sealed container.

If you were to put water into the vacuum chamber and then heat the container the vacuum would be broken and it would not be a sealed container.

You have a keen perception for the obvious. My point was it could be dangerous to heat that container without first breaking the vacuum by cutting it open or otherwise venting it. Even then, I would want to know what is between those walls. Maybe there's nothing at all in there, but I wouldn't want to gamble on it.

I used one of these for a MLT for a while. It worked great. They hold the temp really well, the only drawback was the small opening. I used a stainless braid at the bottom and the tubing fit perfectly into the drain hole at the bottom.
Cheers
Mike
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwnXx_cHUO0&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Black Squirrel Brewery[/ame]

You have a keen perception for the obvious. My point was it could be dangerous to heat that container without first breaking the vacuum by cutting it open or otherwise venting it. Even then, I would want to know what is between those walls. Maybe there's nothing at all in there, but I wouldn't want to gamble on it.

I don't follow. I had already stated that I would break the vacuum by adding water to the vacuum chamber before heating it as a MLT. So yes it was obvious to me. I understand your point of not knowing whats within the vacuum chamber. Throwing a propane burner under something that may give off noxious fumes would not be ideal

Airbalancer that is a rather resourceful setup you have or had there. So the Aervoid or whatever they are called worked well with the SS braid? Thanks for the video. If you say they hold heat well there is no need in making it into a double boiler. I think the best application for one of these would be as the already mentioned glycol jacketed fermenter.

I don't follow. I had already stated that I would break the vacuum by adding water to the vacuum chamber before heating it as a MLT. So yes it was obvious to me. I understand your point of not knowing whats within the vacuum chamber. Throwing a propane burner under something that may give off noxious fumes would not be ideal

Pardon the confusion. I was initially referring to this post which is what I thought you were talking about:

So are they basically double walled insulated containers, with a vacuum in between the walls (like a vacuum thermos)?

Anybody know what happens if you try to boil something in one of these things?

Just wondering....my guess is that that vacuum layer in between might insulate the contents from being heated from the outside
(like it insulates contents from being cooled)? Would the only way to heat the contents would be to stick a heating source directly into it?

My intent was to caution against trying this while the vacuum chamber was intact. That could be a recipe for an explosion.

My intent was to caution against trying this while the vacuum chamber was intact. That could be a recipe for an explosion.

10-4 on that. We already have enough carboys exploding around here, we don't SS shrapnel as well. :D

BUMP!!!

i just scored a 3gal one for free... trying to think of possible options... i was leaning more towards using it as a heat exchanger, chopping the bottom off for direct fire, or installing a heating element in the bottom..

Back