Is there a term for this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlito2017

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I have made any beer (15 years and only from kits). I have no recipes from then but I remember using two cans and little or no sugar. Is there a name or term for doing it that way. I tried looking it up but it's hard when you don't know what you're looking for.:confused:

HME - Hopped Malt Extract, like Coopers or Mr. Beer kits. Generally you just mix with water, pitch yeast, and bottle when it's finished fermenting. The next step would be to get a regular extract kit from a place like Midwest or any of the many other homebrew shops, local or online. That will involve boiling your extract wort with hops, and probably steeping grains to get more malt character than the extract itself can give you.

A can and a kilo?

It makes beer but this community is great to help you learn to make better beer, or your beer better.

So we can help more can you tell us what you plan on using for equipment.
Pan or Boil Kettle size and heat source
Batch size
Fermenter size

I opened the can added water and yeast. It made a drinkable stout. I think it was can of stout and can of Tom Caxton Best bitters. I think doing it that way I added no sugar? Sorry this must seem like very simple questions, but I have to start somewhere...

FatDragon is right - you were doing extract brewing using HME. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but the next step in doing extract brewing is to add some steeping grains - that'll greatly enhance the body in your beer. Many extract kits now come with steeping grains, as it's a very simple way to really improve the quality of your beer.

I opened the can added water and yeast. It made a drinkable stout. I think it was can of stout and can of Tom Caxton Best bitters. I think doing it that way I added no sugar? Sorry this must seem like very simple questions, but I have to start somewhere...

Ah, two HME cans instead of the "kit and kilo" approach will almost certainly make a better beer than one HME can and sugar like they instruct you to do. You could also substitute unhopped malt extract for the second can in order to avoid potential hop or malt profile clashes.

Back