Is there a setting to re-order the posts in a thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
Once I enter a thread, the *oldest* post is always the first entry at the top of the page. Is there a setting or preference somewhere that re-orders the posts so that the *most recent* post is always the first one, at the top of the page?

(btw; the "Jump to New" button is not working for this; it is taking me to random page near the most recent, but not *at* the most recent)

Sorry for the newbie question.
Thanks for any help.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
I do not believe there is any way to re-order the content of a thread.
Threads are always structured as a list with new entries appended in order of posting time.
Entry into a thread should take one to the "oldest unseen" post...

Cheers!

HBT_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1645850753625.png

You can set it on the forum name dark line. Far right, Filters. That will get you to this so while in the forum you can change the sort.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, only us current supporters are credible sources of information.

LOL

@HBT_Admin i don't see a filters any where, where your showing it's supposed to be?

edit: never mind, i found it..it's on the sub forum page...but not on the individual posts...and doesn't "filter down" to the threads, i don't think? at least didn't seem like it..

i'm think maybe what jacob needs is a feature like you added to snap to the top of a page, but to the bottom?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jacob_Marley

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
Right, that "Filter" function sorts the Forum, not inside a thread...

Exactly. The "filter" only applies to the "list of threads" not a "list of posts" within the thread.

It seems very odd indeed that this was never corrected (that a thread, when opened, requires you to additionally click the furthest page (highest numbered) of the thread, *and* scroll to the bottom to see the newest post.

Makes me wonder if the solution is a setting (in the admin/setup) that specifies that pages are numbered in reverse order so that the highest numbered page is the oldest page ... rather than the newest.

All this makes it more difficult to conveniently go to a thread and see recent comments without reading and scrolling from the bottom ... in reverse order!!!!

If such a setting could be looked into we'd be much obliged.

Reaction score
It seems very odd indeed that this was never corrected (that a thread, when opened, requires you to additionally click the furthest page (highest numbered) of the thread, *and* scroll to the bottom to see the newest post.

I think you want #4. I believe these are all available on the phone app also (might have to turn phone to horizontal to get all the links.
  1. First unread post of thread. If there are no new posts since last visiting (thread title will NOT be bold), it goes to first post of thread
  2. First post of thread
  3. Choose page of thread
  4. Last post in thread
1646673546664.png

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
I always use "First Unread" as that satisfies ~98% of my forum usage.
For those times I want to index into a thread somewhere else I just paw through it manually :)

Cheers!

OP
OP
Jacob_Marley

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
I think you want #4. I believe these are all available on the phone app also
Yep ... #4 goes right to the last post, thanks.
I guess if I spit out the chewing gum I should be coordinated enough to deal with the posts otherwise being in reverse chronological order ... at least #4 takes one right to the last post. Cheers.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
damn, i usually like to think of myself as computer literate....
Sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to find. :D

My (older) Logitech keyboard has an applet where the CAPS-lock key is turned off foregood.
It also has the Number pad engaged permanently, instead of it being a redundant (2nd) cursor pad.

Those small things help make that keyboard quite a bit more useful.

Now I did wear out the left [Control] key mechanism on one of those boards... rendering it pretty much useless for most everyday use. ;)

Reaction score
Sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to find. :D

My (older) Logitech keyboard has an applet where the CAPS-lock key is turned off foregood.
It also has the Number pad engaged permanently, instead of it being a redundant (2nd) cursor pad.

Those small things help make that keyboard quite a bit more useful.

Now I did wear out the left [Control] key mechanism on one of those boards... rendering it pretty much useless for most everyday use. ;)

I intentionally buy keyboards with no numeric keypad ("notenkey") so it's a shorter path from keypad to mouse. I get the Velocifire brand.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
Hahaha! Well, they are out there. One never knows who one is dealing with ;)

fwiw...the very first schematic editor I used ran on a pdp11 and vt100 terminals. As this was "pre-mouse" (like, 1973) and even before graphical guis (or even graphics controllers!) one heavily used the numeric keypad for creating orthogonal line vectors to actually draw the wiring.

It was an epic pita, but it was all the industry had back then...

Cheers!