Is there a rough grain volume ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
If that makes sense. I'm looking to order some storage containers, to store uncrushed grain in.
I haven't used un-crushed before, but just got a mill so not sure in the volume difference between crushed/uncrushed.

Is there a rough ratio for weight to volume? To work out say how many Litre 5kg of grain would take up?

EDIT: looking around , I think, I can go for 1L = 0.5-0.8kg of grain. Sound about right?

Different malts should all have the same density right?

I don't know any formulas. And I am not sure what I would know would easily relate to metric anyway. But, I get various sized lock and lock containers.

XLLlPiWg9Ks1JGAQuIg1nmOZZmweFncYBWriBrZBGaR_iYF2CeRnOOchk8yXiNKzPj-SA1RC5EJhW9KazM8qCcm7pYlQF0AAe0rdwlbOuFThHdXavqzs_bXfnloMiGUtiQnrSTH8_RvcffyyQtZLTE_sPYllp5HIMoKGiObn7oIuJtNHilN7uF44wadXNqIAly6ebrZebL6hGGmCHoN-AJI_aM8MYLxQ8Q=s220-c

That way I usually have one that will work.

Which reminds me... I need more!:D

Yea Im looking to buy a bunch of containers, very similar to those! Just trying to figure out what the best size would be!

5 lbs in a gallon, approximately 4L per G (that's a cup more then a gallon total) so 1.25/lbs per liter or so. All off the top of my head, make sure you check my math ;)

Edit, in metric that's a bit more then .5k/Liter.

Back