is there a 'household' substitute for rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I want to make an AAA with some Rye, but I need some type of filtering aid that can go in the mash, and I don't have any rice hulls. Is there anything I can use from the grocery store?

Dried corn husk from the ethnic food area. but you have to buy a lot of them and cut them up into tiny confetti like pieces.

How much rye are you using?

If it is just a pound or two I don't think you need to worry.

Whole grain rice still does not have the actual husk (The protective jacket), but rather just the hull (the otter [outer] skin of the seed).

I want to make an AAA with some Rye, but I need some type of filtering aid that can go in the mash, and I don't have any rice hulls.

How much rye? I just brewed a hefeweizen with 64% wheat with no lautering aids - runoff was slow, but never stuck.

A β-glucanase rest in the 100-110F range will pretty much eliminate the need for rice hulls...and it's free!

More a question than anything....Since normal rice requires a cereal mash to actually get it to convert...and the purpose of rice hulls is to use something that doesn't ferment to keep the run off loose, just like high fiber bran does in our intestine to keep us "loose" as well.....

Wouldn't using regular rice, without a cereal mash to convert it, actually serve the same purpose as it's hulls? If it doesn't convert, then wouldn't it do nothing but serve as spaces in the grain?

Wouldn't using regular rice, without a cereal mash to convert it, actually serve the same purpose as it's hulls? If it doesn't convert, then wouldn't it do nothing but serve as spaces in the grain?

It will be really sticky, as some of the surface starches will dissolve and form a layer of glue. It would be worse than if it had been partially converted.

It will be really sticky, as some of the surface starches will dissolve and form a layer of glue. It would be worse than if it had been partially converted.

Yeah! Ever had "sticky rice" from a Chinese restaurant? I think that is what they make kindergarten glue sticks from.

I'm only using a pound of Rye (something like 8% of the grist), but even at that amount in another recipe I got a gummed-up sparge that sucked the life out of my brew-day.....Rye is the enemy of efficient lautering.

LOL.....GO check your pillows....you might not have a "household substitute" for rice hulls, you may have a couple pounds of it in your household.

I just hit teh googlez to see if there was any substitute...and on the wikipedia article I found THIS little gem of info...Under "uses of;"

Pillow stuffing

Rice hulls are used as pillow stuffing. The pillows are loosely stuffed and considered therapeutic as they retain the shape of the head. In China, in 2009, where these pillows have become popular, one pillow costs approximately 40 Reminbi (almost USD $6), and is considered a luxury item. The high price is testament to its trendiness, as one ton of rice hulls, even in the US, costs approximately $5

So grab your trusty pocket knife, and start stabbing your pillows...especially any of those small frou frou, or therepeudic ones....you might have just what you need.

:D

as one ton of rice hulls, even in the US, costs approximately $5

I actually read of it being used as insulation in walls as well. Fairly fire retardant without any chemicals added.

Seems very strange that 1 lb of rice hulls costs 1/4 as much as buying 2000...

Back