Is there a Homebrew shop that does a recipe of the month club? Anyone Want to join?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Donasay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
11
Location
Boston
I was just thinking that it might be neat to do a recipe of the month club here on HBT, perhaps get an online home brew shop to select a different recipe every month, something that costs around $30, and have it automatically shipped out to the people who sign up for the recipe of the month club.

They could sign up people with 6 month subscriptions for say $200 for 6 months including shipping, and every month everyone gets the same randomly selected recipe to brew automatically in the mail and we can all compare notes on the brew process and the taste of the beer etc.

I would be totally down for signing up as a member of the club and brewing a randomly selected brew of the month every month. I wonder if anyone knows of a online HBS that does its own recipes that would be willing to put something like this together if there was enough interest among HBT members.

What do you guys think would you be interested in signing up.
 

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
15
Location
Georgia
Maybe a beer of the week club for most of us! My LHBS is only 15 minutes away though......
 
OP
Donasay

Donasay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
11
Location
Boston
I brew a beer every 2 weeks, but I thought it would be fun if a bunch of us got the same beer kit once a month and brewed it and compared tasting notes and processes. Might make for some good conversation and help other people improve their brewing.

And nothing against midwest, but it would be cool if we could all select a home brew supply shop and join the same kit club and brew the same beer at the same time without knowing what is coming the next month. It would force people to learn about other styles, and try things they are normally accustomed to.

Of course once we got the kit we could post the recipe so if anyone else wanted to replicate it on their own they could, I am just throwing the idea out there to see what kind of interest there is, would anyone here be interested in joining something like that?
 

McKBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,186
Reaction score
43
Location
Hayden
I know that Austin Homebrew did something like that for us for the 8-8-8 RIS. Whether or not they could make it a regular thing would probably depend on interest. The only two issues I could see would be that not everyone maintains a once a month brewing schedule and could get back-logged on recipes real quick. Also, keeping the price at a set level might not be possible either.

It's still a good idea if you can drum up enough support for it. Good Luck.
 
OP
Donasay

Donasay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
11
Location
Boston
For those who can't brew as soon as it comes there is always the option of reviving an old thread once you get to the recipe. Plus if enough people brew the recipe, whatever company makes the kits would have some good honest reviews of the beer. Heck some people might enter it into a contest and win it some ribbons.

I like a lot of the Austin Home Brew Recipes, I buy the promotional "on sale" kits pretty frequently. I recently got their Rasberry Chocolate Stout delivered and it is on my docket for this weekend. Perhaps if everyone here ordered their promotional kit every month we could all discuss it as a beer of the month?
 

Poindexter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
9
Location
interior Alaska
Donasay said:
I was just thinking that it might be neat to do a recipe of the month club here on HBT
I'll paste in the swap schedule for supporting members, just so you have an inkling of what you are missing. No offense. I was a "senior member" here for a long time before I coughed up a Jackson. If you like, you can follow along at your place and brew 12 different styles this year....BRB with copy/ paste. Mind you for the $20 all you get is a style guideline, build your own recipe, but it will keep you out of a brewing rut so to speak.
 

Poindexter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
9
Location
interior Alaska
Here ya go big guy:

January 2008: Your best wheat
February 2008: SMaSH Fest
March 2008: Open swap

April 2008: Reinheitsgebot
May 2008: Belgians
June 2008: Open swap

July 2008: Lawnmower beers
August 2008: Something sour
September 2008: Open swap

October 2008: Decoction fun
November 2008: Big Beer Battle
December 2008: Secret Santa

January 2009: Mead / Braggot Royale

So far I got a witbier recipe that will probably come out EXCELLENT next time I make it (that never shipped) , and we got some hard core Belgian only types around here. SMaSH is Single Malt and Single Hop like say Marris Otter and EKG. I did six row USA with Crystal hops for that one. I havea couple cuties up my sleeves for the opens. For the decoction I have a Pilsnerwine at 1.090OG that qualifies, and a oatmeal stout on deck that will qualify. For 11-08 my big Pilsner will be ready if the decoction reviews are decent, and I am working up a Belgian trippel recipe now.

For Jan 2009 I have a Pale Malt/ Glacier hops (Pale Glacier Braggot) that was pitched in 11-2007 going, and a Buckwheat/ Marris Otter/ Saaz thing going in another fermenter since 12-2007.

Got to support to play my man. Don't ask about my UPS bill, and don't ask if I can buy stuff like this in stores.
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
14,262
Reaction score
777
Location
Southwest
You could probably gain a bit of a following if you were to simply suggest a kit each month (or week / biweekly). Rather than sticking to one store and tying yourself to a subscription program, you'd be able to run a very flexible program that wouldn't require anyone to commit to several months' worth of kits. You could even post a poll for each brew, giving a choice of 4 or 5 kits, let the participants vote for a few days, then suggest that everyone buy the winning kit/recipe.

Of course, the first step in trying to organize HBT-wide events is probably to register as a paid member. olllllo has some excellent info regarding the reasoning for that. Give him a shout if you want to know more.
 

RichBrewer

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
5,900
Reaction score
210
Location
Denver
Yuri_Rage said:
You could probably gain a bit of a following if you were to simply suggest a kit each month (or week / biweekly). Rather than sticking to one store and tying yourself to a subscription program, you'd be able to run a very flexible program that wouldn't require anyone to commit to several months' worth of kits. You could even post a poll for each brew, giving a choice of 4 or 5 kits, let the participants vote for a few days, then suggest that everyone buy the winning kit/recipe.

Of course, the first step in trying to organize HBT-wide events is probably to register as a paid member. olllllo has some excellent info regarding the reasoning for that. Give him a shout if you want to know more.
I agree with this. If the beer of the month is a style I don't like I really don't want to brew it and have 5 gallons of beer that I don't like.
With Yuri's Idea you could take a month off if you don't care for the selected kit.
 
OP
Donasay

Donasay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
11
Location
Boston
Yuri_Rage said:
Of course, the first step in trying to organize HBT-wide events is probably to register as a paid member. olllllo has some excellent info regarding the reasoning for that. Give him a shout if you want to know more.
A little off topic, :off: but I have been thinking of registering for quite a while, the main reason I don't is that anyone can get banned for any reason as long as the moderators see fit to do so. I mean we have all seen what happened during the cheesefood incident.

When I first started posting here I was a bit of an a$$ and people called me on it, so I stopped being an a$$, as I slowly figured out what was acceptable and what was not. I thought all was good and started to reconsider joining, but then I made comments about supporting someone going around and performing 4th term abortion on annoying children which really seemed to upset quite a lot of people, well that and the fact that I called all children crotchfruit and talked about the childfree movement and all that stuff.

In my opinion it was a very funny joke that a lot of people just didn't get. So anyway in short, I thought I had this place figured out and I realized I didn't, I don't forsee a banning in my future, but I don't wan't to continually worry about censoring myself so I don't loose out on my 25 bucks.

Oh and I learned another valuable lesson, don't make fun of peoples kids, as every parent thinks their child is special even if the child is clearly retarded.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,724
Reaction score
12,415
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
Donasay said:
A little off topic, :off: but I have been thinking of registering for quite a while, the main reason I don't is that anyone can get banned for any reason as long as the moderators see fit to do so. I mean we have all seen what happened during the cheesefood incident.

When I first started posting here I was a bit of an a$$ and people called me on it, so I stopped being an a$$, as I slowly figured out what was acceptable and what was not. I thought all was good and started to reconsider joining, but then I made comments about supporting someone going around and performing 4th term abortion on annoying children which really seemed to upset quite a lot of people, well that and the fact that I called all children crotchfruit and talked about the childfree movement and all that stuff.

In my opinion it was a very funny joke that a lot of people just didn't get. So anyway in short, I thought I had this place figured out and I realized I didn't, I don't forsee a banning in my future, but I don't wan't to continually worry about censoring myself so I don't loose out on my 25 bucks.

Oh and I learned another valuable lesson, don't make fun of peoples kids, as every parent thinks their child is special even if the child is clearly retarded.
Being a supporter is up to you, and that's fine if you choose not to. I think that Poindexter was just pointing out why some of us probably don't do other swaps/recipes/stuff because we're already involved in the other projects that others are not aware of. No need to join if you don't want to! It really is optional.

The only thing I can say about banning is that NOONE has ever been banned for "any reason as long as the moderators see fit". I have to take issue with that statement, because we don't do it lightly and never for no reason. Maybe some reasons aren't apparent to everyone (we do keep private messages and private discussions just that- private!) but it is not something that happens very often at all. I can only think of about 3 supporters in the last 2 years who were banned, and it wasn't for just saying something offensive or being a jerk. There were many things that are not known by the rest of the group. I happen to be a jerk myself sometimes, so I'm glad that's not a banning offense!
 
Top