Is there a difference in cider with wine vs. ale yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I mainly brew beer. Have done for many years. Tried Cider for the first time this year, and of course used ale yeast because that is what I have.

I kept reading threads that said it would ferment fully, be really dry, and not have much apple taste. There seems to lots of threads about backsweetening, adding apple flavor, and heat pasturizing (this seems very risky to me - but I've not tried it either). I expected something very dry and tasteless.

Well, I did 2 batches with different juices. Bottled half of each today (want it for Christmas, but based on 'advice' from here, I'm going to leave the rest for a few months to see how it 'improves').

I took the obligatory SG samples, both were at 0.998 (both started at 1.063). Both tasted great, both had apple flavor, and while dry, did not seem too dry.

To the question: Is there a difference in the fully fermented producted between ale and wine yeasts? The reason for the question is because the product I have is a lot better than I had expected based on reading threads in this forum.

Using ale yeast in cider seems to be the popular choice on HBT. HBT is primarily a beer making website, so should we be surprised that ale yeast is preferred? I go to Cider Day in Mass. every year, which is a weekend festival dedicated to making cider. Wine yeast seems to be the hands down favorite with that crowd. Who's right? I don't know. It seems to depend where you came from. I'm a wine yeast guy, but plan on trying ale yeast.

I use wine yeast for cider because it works well and is almost free compared to ale yeast.

Back