Is the rate of fermentation constant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
Noob question here, searched but couldn't find an answer anywhere.

If after a week of fermentation a single SG reading shows a loss of 0.003 every day is it reasonable to expect the fermentation to continue at that steady rate?

I'm just trying to figure out whats going on inside my carboy with a minimum of hydrometer readings to minimize the risk of contamination.

Thanks!

From my experience no. Fermentation. Starts slow as the yeast build in population. Then they reduce replication rates and starting kicking some wort a*s. Primarily they will consume simple sugars, and when these begin to be depleted they will move to more complex sugars and will begin slowing down. Its then clean up time and then floc.

Interesting question.

I'd guess that at a constant temperature the fermentation would be constant, but I doubt it would be linear. More likely a bell curve.

It sounds like you (may have) under pitched. Next time use more yeast, or make a starter. Fermentation is not at all constant, the yeast should replicate until they are feverishly doing so.. then food supply will run out, and FG will be reached.

If there is bubbling wait, if not re-pitch. Do you have anyway to be sure that your readings of .003 is accurate?

Latest posts

Back