Is the faucet on my sink sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobonthenet

Reaction score
I just realised that I've never made any effort towards sanitation when it comes to the faucet I get my water from. It has never posed a problem with my beer though. How come I have to sanitize everything else but not the faucet?

You should sanitize everything post-boil. Pre-boil generally doesn't matter. Depending on your process, you may not need to (i.e. if everything from your faucet gets boiled).

Otherwise, go ahead and sanitize it.

It isn't even necessarily the faucet, but the water coming out of your faucet may also have contaminants. I wouldn't worry about sanitizing your faucet, but any water touching your beer should be boiled first to sanitize. What is your application? If it is strike water I wouldn't worry about it since it's pre-boil, but if you are partial boiling and using it to dilute then boiling that water separately is a good idea.

Yeah that is the thing. I've been using the water to add to the carboy to top it off without sanitization. Like I said, it has never been a problem. I guess I've just been lucky perhaps.

City tap water is generally treated with chlorine or chloramine to sanitize it. I've never boiled top-off water and I've never had an infection. I have, however, had off flavors from the chloramine turning into chlorophenols. I've used store-bought spring water to get around that, and I'm trying Campden tablets in the currently fermenting batch.

Well water is a different issue.

Back