Is the cider ruined????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrooster

Reaction score
I started a batch of the Carmel apple cider about a week ago og was 1.060, checked it 2 days ago was 1.040, went to check it last night opened the bucket and there was tan colored stuff floating in it ,it was kind of chunky and clumped together didn't have a smell to it was kind of sludgy. As I was taking the sample the stuff would gradually sink to the bottom. the sg was 1.oo5 or so so I added the sorbate and metabisulphite like the label said gave it a stir, fizzed some as I stirred. it closed it back up this was about 930pm got up this morning around 915am and noticed the airlock was still bubbling opened it up and again this substance was on top noticed it kind of smelled yeasty added another dose of sorbate and here I am don't know if it is yeast or infected or what any help would be appreciated thanks

recipe was 5 gal motts aj and 2lbs. dextrose

Well I racked it into a secondary and I am assuming that it is just yeast and sediment that lumped together and was being pushed up by co2.since I racked I don't see anymore activity in the airlock. I attached a pic tell me what you think new to cider and just unsure thanks

2013-03-06 11.15.53.jpg

Has this same film developed since you racked? What was your entire recipe, you listed juice plus dextrose...is that all you had on board? Odds are it is just the normal fermentation related sludge.

Also, since your SG was 1.005 when you added k-meta/sorbate your ferment will keep chugging away. SO2 & sorbate will not stop a ferment, you add these when SG is below 1.000 when you opt to backsweeten (or you have determined you are at final gravity, which can be greater than 1.000 depending on other variables)

Has this same film developed since you racked? What was your entire recipe, you listed juice plus dextrose...is that all you had on board? Odds are it is just the normal fermentation related sludge.

Also, since your SG was 1.005 when you added k-meta/sorbate your ferment will keep chugging away. SO2 & sorbate will not stop a ferment, you add these when SG is below 1.000 when you opt to backsweeten (or you have determined you are at final gravity, which can be greater than 1.000 depending on other variables)

Once i racked it the film went away and has not returned as for the recipe that is all besides the yeast nottingham added sorbate and k-meta because the recipe said to stop it a fg of 1.010-1.015 i think it is good to go thanks for the response

Back