Is that a Lagunitas in your pocket?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a beer store that carries all seven kinds of Lagunitas (sorry Baron) and I shall endeavor to taste them all for the good of the community. I know, I just never stop giving!

IPA: Awesome floral hop character. Tastes like the smell you would get if you were combining a hop plantation. The bitterness is almost completely covered by the freshness of the hops but is still apparent, even SWMBO likes it. This IPA rocks.

Imperial Stout: Two words: Chocolate Milkshake. I'm not sure how they did it, but this 72IBU stout tastes like a big, boozy, chocolate shake. Wasn't what I was expecting, but after afew sips it was pretty good. The sweetness and the bitterness are perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel isn't too heavy either, surprising for a FG of 1020. They don't mention chocolate on their site anywhere, but there has to be some. This will be a fantastic winter warmer.

Side note: I noticed some floaties in both beers and contacted Lagunitas. Here is the reply (which, I might add came almost right away):

You are correct..... not yeast, not bottle conditioned...........
The sediment in the bottle is actually coagulated protein solids that
precipitate out of the beer when it gets chilled and then warms up
and gets chilled again. It doesn't affect the flavor or the shelf
life, but it sure ain't pretty.........

Please let me know where you bought it and if you can read the black
number on the neck of the bottle (the first four digits are the mm/dd
of bottling). We'll check it out and be sure the beer is fresh
enough! Thanks again for the support!

Cheers,

Ron Lindenbusch
Lagunitas Brewing Co.
707.769.4495 x5305
[email protected]

I thought it a little strange since I had never seen this before. Anyone else seen this in ANY other beer?

Chairman Cheyco said:
I found a beer store that carries all seven kinds of Lagunitas (sorry Baron) and I shall endeavor to taste them all for the good of the community.
Bastige! Hopefully they are at the brewfest at the end of the month. Anyways, sounds like they're exporting the old stuff...:D

Lagunitas IPA used to be one of my favorites, but they have some stiff local competition these days. It's a great beer, but try Moylan's IPA out of Novato (just north of Petaluma where Lagunitas is) or the absilutely PERFECT Blind Pig from Russian River. I know Moylan's bottles...if you can find it, get some. Great beer.

MMMMMM, I love Lagunitas IPA. I was kicking around the local Trader Joe's today and found that they carried it! That is the first place in town I have found other than Bottleworks.

There is a bar in town here (I am about 15 minutes for the Lagunitas brewery) that only sells Lagunitas. Needless to say its a fav. spot of mine. I cant get enough of the Lagunitas IPA, but a great one to try is Lagunitas' Brown Shugga if you can get your hands on it. It is a seasonal brew of theirs and it is outta contol, 9.9 abv!

Moylan's IPA is hopped to high heaven, but tastes so great. Another favorite to fill a growler (about 30 minutes away)

If anyone knows of a clone of Brown Shugga, I would love to have it!

that brown shugga' is interesting, but theres something about the character of fermented brown sugar that i'm not super fond of, and it was all i tasted in taht beer.
if you could find out the size of the brew system, you could at least figure out how much brown sugar to use as they say they use 200 lb.s to a batch. i would talk to the brewmaster to get a feel for the hops, and maybe a # on the ibus, then try to create it yourself.

Back