Is temp control after 5 days important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
My AG cream ale fermented in 5 days and the FG is very low. Beer still tastes bitter and green of course, but my question is should I still keep my fermentation temps around 66-68 degrees with the 1056 Wyeast American Ale? I have a small plastic tub and ice bath set-up to help control temps. I've always been on the higher end of the temp ranges or slightly higher in the past and learned that temp control is a huge impact on the quality and flavor of beer during the first few days. However, is it important after the majority of fermentation is done if it sits another week with some dry hops in my carboy @ 75 degrees? I know I can play it safe, but I'm sort of tired of switching out the ice and will be out of town some next week.

I guess I'm not sure what "FG is very low" means. If you're within a couple points of your target gravity, I wouldn't really stress about the temperature going forward.

Latest posts

Back