Quantcast

Is stripping grapes essential?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

paulvernon63

Reaction score
I have been given something like 25kg of grapes by a friend who very kindly cuts down the bunches for me and gives them to me every year. For the past couple of years I have stripped the grapes from their branches but she has given me far more grapes this year and I can see stripping them taking me many, many hours. What are the implications if I do not strip them? I've read the wine might be tannin flavoured if I leave the grapes on the stalks / branch;can I add something to offset that?
I normally freeze the grapes and make the wine at my leisure. I just make the wine by mixing the fruit with water, sugar (as required) and yeast. I don't press the juice out. Would an option be to press the grapes whilst they are still on the branch?
Thanks,
Paul.

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
I have no experience with this, but all my reading has lead to the same conclusion you did. It’s best to not let the large stems soak in the must.

chicken

Reaction score
I would be worried about excess tannins or vegetal flavor in the wine if stems were left in during fermentation. As far as pressing grapes with the stems, I think it depends on the grapes; I read somewhere that with white grapes, pressing with the stems (or perhaps only some of the stems) is sometimes done.

gregbathurst

Reaction score
I always leave the whole bunches in when I do red wine. You do get little extra bitterness but it ages out quite well, in the end it's similar to using oak barrels.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I crush the grapes and then pick out the stems later, which is tedious but I don't mind it all that much.
If you don't have a grape crusher, the "milk crate crushing method" works pretty good for both de-stemming and crushing.
You shouldn't have to add water or sugar to your wine.