Is screw alloy harmful to health

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwbsch

Reaction score
I have yesterday 2 x about 1.5 gallon (5 liters) mead (yeast, apple juice, water, honey) set and wanted to supply it for an hour each with oxygen. as I took my aquarium pump, the hose plugged and put into the most. stupidly, the hose has not sunk and only floated on the surface. so i took a screw and attached it to the hose with cable ties and sank it back into the most. i rinsed the screw with boiling water beforehand. now the hose has drifted to the bottom of the glass balloon.

this morning i noticed that the golden alloy of the screw is gone and all i see is the bare steel.

after a short research, i read the alloy should be the following.

Chromating is a surface engineering application. Chromic acid is used to treat the metallic surface - creating complex chromic acid salts. The base material is dissolved so that the dissolved metal ions of the base material can be incorporated into the chromate layer. This is also referred to as passivation. Chromating is usually applied to aluminum or a zinc coating. The chromate coating is an inorganic non-metallic layer to protect the screws.

According to wikipedia
Chromic acid is extremely toxic (the lethal dose is equivalent to 1 to 2 g)[8] and has also long been known to cause cancer. Upon skin contact, it produces irritation to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Chronic contact with chromic acid can cause permanent damage if not treated.

Chromic acid can cause toxic pulmonary edema and death despite subsequent treatment. After temporary freedom from symptoms (up to 48 hours), full-blown symptoms with hemoptysis, cyanosis, aspiration, or cardiac arrest may occur.

Since 1958, the WHO (World Health Organization) has recommended a maximum permissible concentration of 0.05 mg/liter for chromium(VI) compounds in drinking water.
i don't want to throw away all the mead, even beekept honey and a lot of effort is behind it. but from my point of view i can't avoid throwing it all away. does anyone know if i can keep the mead or if it is lost? thank you.

picture here IMG-20210606-WA0008

Last edited:
How large is the screw? How much does it weigh?
In that light, how much chromate coating is on the surface, a few microns? If all the coating dissolved, how many nanograms or micrograms would that constitute?

I'd say fish it out, and enjoy the mead.

While hexavalent chromium (Cr6+) and chromic acid (both very toxic) are used to create a conversion coating on metals, during the process chrome 6 is reduced to chrome 3 (the gold colored layer) which isn't toxic. You should be ok. On the other hand.. if you still have a lingering doubt, pour it out.

Thanks for the answers, have thought about it again and I pour away the in no case. lol. Otherwise nothing happened. Have the same posted in a chemical forum and there meant one that it is poisonous, I should pour it away, it will not ferment. Is also not true.
I put the screw in lemon juice and after 5 minutes it was grey. So i thought to myself that if this is supposed to be so toxic, then it certainly isn't. Otherwise i'll just buy 100 screws for a few $, extract that with lemon juice and poison someone with it. I couldn't imagine that.

We consume lots of things daily that put in the right concentration could kill us. Solanine is one chemical. It is found in potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant . If all the solanine was extracted from just the potatoes the average person eats in year it could kill an elephant in minutes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine
Heck, too much water could kill from overhydration.

Back