Is rubber and copper ok for a MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
My BIL went to Lowes with the intention of getting the materials to convert his 5 gallon cooler to a MLT and from what he told me that had almost nothing that he was looking for. He ended up trying to improvise and got some 1/2" ball valve stuff. One thing he got to make it water tight was rubber washers, its basically a rubber sheet cut into a circle. He also got a copper fitting. Will either of these impart any flavors on the wort? He still needs to find a SS fender washer.

if the rubber doesn't smell like a tire it would probably be OK. I would also think the copper would be OK - ever seen the big copper vessels in old breweries?

I've seen one setup that just had a rubber stopper with copper tubing jammed into the drain hole in the cooler (stopper jammed from the inside), then vinyl tubing on the copper tubing-low tech and inexpensive way to go.

I've seen one setup that just had a rubber stopper with copper tubing jammed into the drain hole in the cooler (stopper jammed from the inside), then vinyl tubing on the copper tubing-low tech and inexpensive way to go.

Yeah I know the one you're talking about. I guess it comes down to the type rubber, these washers are black rubber. Guess there's one way to find out.

I found stainless fender washers at my local ACE hardware. They are metric, but work just fine. Not called fender washers either.

I went to target and bought some silicone bakeware and cut out my own washers- then used the SS fender washers I got at ACE to hold them in place. Works perfect and I know its food and temp safe!

I use rubber on the outside of my mash tun and HLT but I personally wouldn't use rubber on the inside.

Back