is regular bleach ok to use if dilluted to 1tbsp per gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Bleach is so cheap and accessible and I thought I heard its ok to use at 1 tbsp per gallon if you rinse with boiled water. Anyone else experienced in this field?

Bleach is so cheap and accessible and I thought I heard its ok to use at 1 tbsp per gallon if you rinse with boiled water. Anyone else experienced in this field?

works fine - I use it exlusively and I'm still alive... and have yet to develop an infection in one of my brews.

remember though at that light concentration you'll be looking at a 20 minute soaktime. so plan acordingly.

Yes, but you don't need to rinse with boiling water. When I use bleach at 1/4 cup per 5 gallons (0.8 Tbs/gallon) I make it a habbit to rinse at least three times with hot tap water and then a quick cold water rinse. I seldom use bleach anymore as I find Star San to be much more convenient and still very economical. Not to mention you won't ruin as many clothes from the bleach getting on them.

If you absolutely insist on using bleach to sanitize, at least please listen to the Basic Brewing Podcast in which Charley Talley from Five Star Chemicals (the guy responsible for Star San and IO-Star) talks about the best and safest way to use it. Bleach, water, and vinegar, when mixed properly, make an excellent no-rinse sanitizer. Bleach by itself must be rinsed multiple times, which reintroduces much bacteria from your rinse water.

If you're going to use bleach, at least use it properly.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Also, if you're going to use bleach, make sure to use COLD water as a soaking medium. Hot water will lead to bleach fumes, which won't ultimately hurt your beer, but can have an adverse effect on your brewer!

It keeps going through my head that a rinse with a bit of boiled cooled water dosed with some Camden would knock out any residual chlorine.

I use camden to treat my brew water anyway. Starsan in a spray bottle is pretty cheap too.

As mentioned by others, the best source for info on the "bleach as no-rinse sanitizer" is the Talley interview.

Until you can listen to the whole podcast, you may want to look at an overview of the described process.

Caveats:
* do not use bleach solutions on stainless steel
* follow the instructions. Mixing chems incorrectly can release chlorine gas (as a fellow in Ft Worth found out last week, after they evacuated his house and family).

Back