Is oldcastle a good recipe kit to start with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckinusa

Reaction score
I'm looking at ordering the oldcastle recipe kit from Midwest Supply. I'm getting the el cheapo beginner kit for $59 as well. Is there anything else I should know?

I'm gonna read read read, just wondering if that is something good to start with or am I going over my head. I'm kinda confused on these kits if they are beginner kits or are some of them more advanced?

i'd call the extract kits from midwest begginer kits, thats what i started with and often still use. that kit will come with step-by-step directions, but definately read as much as you can that way you know why you are doing what you're doing, but . you can also open the PDF document on midwest's website and see exactly what you'll get.

I'm looking at ordering the oldcastle recipe kit from Midwest Supply. I'm getting the el cheapo beginner kit for $59 as well. Is there anything else I should know?

I just started myself, and purchased all my stuff from Midwest as well.

That kit you selected is just fine, has all the basics you need to get the job done.

As mentioned by others, be sure and read the John Palmer book, seriously. It will answer 98% of your questions and is free online. The other 2% of questions can be answered here. :)

The recipe kit you chose is a fine choice. Nothing wrong with it, it will be relatively simple to brew and will yield a great beer I am sure.

I am sitting here drinking my first home brew, enjoying it immensely. All thanks to Palmers book, and especially these forums.

Have fun with your first brew! :mug:

One thing I should add. Do a practice run or two with your hydrometer. Make sure you can use it OK.

I didn't and totally botched my gravity reading on my wort, so the ensuing weeks weren't as clear cut or as easy as they could have been.

One thing I should add. Do a practice run or two with your hydrometer. Make sure you can use it OK.

I didn't and totally botched my gravity reading on my wort, so the ensuing weeks weren't as clear cut or as easy as they could have been.

Is there a certain way to go about practicing?

Is there a certain way to go about practicing?

No not really, I just wasn't familiar with the hydrometer, my problem was it stuck to the side of the wine thief I was using.

I learned that spinning the hydrometer while dropping it in seems to help keep it from sticking to the sides, at least for me.

As I look at Midwest it seems they have very good pricing on their kits (correct me if im wrong!).

I am looking at this kit now: Brewing Starter Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I'm just wondering how many honey-do's itll take to get the kit! When I get it I will post like a maniac as I go along with the process so be prepared for the photos :D

I am still reading John Palmers "How to Brew" book online but I did jump early and ordered a used copy of "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition. Hopefully someone can vouch for the book and reassure me that it's a good piece of reading material. It should be here in a couple weeks.

Back