• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Is My Yeast Starter Infected And Next Step

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

awoitte

Reaction score
Photo is 14 hours into my two stepped yeast starter. I’ve never seen red stuff floating like that.

Does that look like an infection and if it is, can I still decant and save the yeast or is it sink food/time to start from scratch.

Lastly, if end up needing to get more yeast (since I’m in the middle of making two brews today), can I keep my wort that’s been chilled but not aerated in the ferm chamber until tomorrow. Aerating and pitching yeast then? (24 hours after brewing/chilling)

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

day_trippr

A bad time to be an empath.
Reaction score
It does look a bit sketchy. Without knowing a lot more I'd be reluctant to use it...

Cheers!

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
i usually do starters for my beers and never seen something like that, i'd say don't risk and make another starter i have left many times chilled wort in a fermentation bucket for 3-4 days before yeast pitching but usually in a fridge at around 2-3 degrees and nothing has happened and i have a friend that has left it the same amount of time but a ambient temperature and he says he hadn't any issue neither , at least is what he says:p, anyway if you had a very sanitized process there is no worries about letting the wort 2-3 days before pitching.