Is my yeast starter DOA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know, RDWHAHB, but . . .

Tomorrow, I plan on brewing for the first time with a liquid yeast (White Labs Southern German Lager). I got up this morning and boiled 3 oz of DME in 700cc water with a small amount (1/8 tsp) yeast nutrient. I cooled it to 78 F, and pitched the yeast which had been in the fridge for 2-3 weeks after allowing it to come to room temp overnight. I covered it with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil.

Six hours or so later there were no definite signs of fermentation. No bubbles, no krausen, nothing. I put on an airlock so I could see if there was any gas production, but so far, nothing - nada - zilch. There is a pretty substantial amount of sediment on the bottom of the flask - maybe more than the 1/2 tube slurry I started with, but I can't be certain.

I will watch it overnight, but if everything is the same in the morning, do I trust it or not? I could order more yeast - maybe a different kind - and brew next weekend.

Advice please.

sleep on it. when yeast is using oxygen and replicating it doesn't create co2 and hence doesn't offgas out an airlock. in the morning your starter should be at high krausen and ready to pitch.

Back