Is my yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
I started a Brew House Pilsner kit last night and used a Wyeast 2007 Pilsner yeast instead of the Cooper's dry yeast supplied.
Here's my question...

After 14-15 hours in my basement at about 55 fahrenheit I have no activity at all. Now this is only my second batch of beer but my first batch (brown ale) had crazy fermentation going on after 12 or so hours. I used the cooper's dry yeast with that one.

What should I do if I have no activity when I get home from work? (24 hours after pitching yeast)

I noticed my liquid years was about 8 months old. I also didn't let it bulge up after popping the nutrient bag. (I only waited 20-25 minutes)

That's pretty cool... it'll make it slow starting, especially since you didn't wait for it to get going before you pitched. I think I'd be patient and wait for it a bit, maybe move it somewhere a few degrees warmer too.

Ok I'll move it to somewhere warmer and see what happens. I'm guessing I should move it back to a cooler place once fermentation starts since this is a lager?

Without a starter, liquid yeast can often take up to 72 hours to start. In a lager, it can be even longer. I'd leave it where it is, and wait it out.

So nobody's really worried that it won't start at all then?
I'll just be patient and wait it out I guess.

What should I do if nothing happens after 3-4 days?

We are not worried because we read the sticky message entitled: "Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to start"

If you want it to take off faster next time remember to pop the packet like it says and make a decent-sized starter.

I would also suggest that "no visible activity" != "no activity".

I would also suggest swirling the wort to give more activity to the yeast. The yeast is 8 months old which is a lot for liquid. Wait until the beer is 7 days old and take a gravity reading, from there you will know what is the next step.

I would also offer that if you are using airlock activity as an indication of whether or not fermentation is happening, that you stop doing so...

You should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

Read this...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Thanks for for the input everyone.
Here's an update:

My SG was 1.052 and I haven't taken a reading since I pitched the yeast 2 days ago. I plan on taking a reading tonight to see how things are going.
I don't have an airlock in right now. I have a blowoff tube going into a bottle with some water in it.
I see no krausen or anything in there resembling fermentation at this point.

Back