Is my yeast dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgoelling

Reaction score
My first batch: a Muntons, Connoisseurs Nut Brown Ale. Started fermentation about 6 days ago. OG was 1.042. The airlock stopped bubbling, but the SG is only at 1.036.

I rehydrated the dry yeast and aerated the wort prior to pitching, but I made the mistake of pitching it a little early (wort was just below 100 degrees).

So, what gives? Has the yeast died on me?

If it is dead, would it be OK to obtain and repitch some more yeast?

if its only been fermenting for 6 days id let it sit at least another 8 days. Just because the airlock isnt bubbling ferociously doesnt mean it has stopped fermenting. When i brew, after i see bubbles in the airlock, i dont even look at the beer again for 3 weeks. I check gravity at 3 weeks, and move to keg if its at the gravity im looking for. If not, ill gently stir with a sanitized spoon and let it sit another week. If that didnt get it to where i wanted ill pitch another packet of yeast. RDWHAHB!

More than likely it fermented fast and intensly.Thats too high a temp.Even though it will give very active yeast you could get off flavors that may need to mellow out with aging. Give it more time.
No offense but im not hearing alot of good things about munton,it is imported and is possible that it may not be as fresh as would american malt.This was only from a few opinions.

<100 isnt enough to kill the yeast. what temp are you at now?

I think it might have something to do with Munton's yeast.

I'm making a Munton's Connoisseurs Bock beer, and active bubbling fermentation barely lasted 2 days for me. I'm still letting it sit in primary for another week or two at the very least. it's been a week and 2 days since I started it.

Back