Is my yeast dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
Month and a half ago I bottled up a batch of pale ale I made using White Labs London Ale Yeast. I was so pleased with the result that I elected to save the yeast for another batch. I carefully siphoned the *very* thick yeast cake (it had been a month in primary) into a sanitized plastic Coke bottle until it was almost full, labeled it, and stored it in the fridge.

Yesterday morning I took out the bottle, shook it up, and left it on the counter until it was room temp. I elected to pitch half the bottle. *This* morning I go out expecting to see the waterlock going like gangbusters, and... nothing.

What did I do wrong?

My first thought is should have made a starter to verify the yeast viability. Also never judge fermentation based on airlock activity.

Relax, ok.

I have pitched washed yeast stored in the fridge. I too was a little concerned when it showed no activity as soon as I THOUGH it should. When I checked it again after 2 full days, there was a thick Krausen ring on the sides of the fermenter. When I checked it the OG of 1.063 had dropped to 1.011 in just 3 days. It was slow to start, but did the job really quick.

Edit: Of course YMMV. Just relax and check it again later. If no change in Hydro reading after 3-4 days, concider pitching fresh yeast.

Relax, ok

Lol. Shall do.

Pitching temp was 74 degrees, BTW. Present temp is around 62-64 -- a bit lower than I'd like, but not unreasonably so.

>washed yeast

Uh... I didn't 'wash' it, whatever that means. I just dumped it in a sanitized bottle. Could that be part of the problem?

Same as you had, just without any unwanted stuff from the previous trub making it into your next batch. It helps if you go from a dark to a lighter brew.

Washing is just deluting what you had enough so the bigger hop and grain parts sink first. (Takes about 30 minutes or less at room temp.) Then decanting off the liquid and letting the yeast still suspended in it settle. Cold crash it and decant off that liquid and the slurry in the bottom is ALL clean yeast. (Some of mine from dark brews has wound up almost white.)

It will be fine. In 6 weeks the viability would have reduced considerably so it needs time to build up new yeast. Should have done a starter after that length of time, but if it smelled OK, then it is probably OK.

I've used 6 month old slurry (with a starter) with no problems.

I normally pitch a pint of slurry if using within a few weeks and get a quick start. You pitched less after a longer period, so it will take a while. I would have pitched the whole bottle. You can harvest the yeast off the cake of this beer to continue using it.

Just check the yeast temp requirement so you don't end up stalling it at 62 F.

I've used 6 month old slurry (with a starter) with no problems.

I normally pitch a pint of slurry if using within a few weeks and get a quick start. You pitched less after a longer period, so it will take a while. I would have pitched the whole bottle. You can harvest the yeast off the cake of this beer to continue using it.

Just check the yeast temp requirement so you don't end up stalling it at 62 F.

Should I (a) feed the remaining yeast a little sugar and let it sit out overnight, and then (b) pitch in it as well, just to be sure? And get a Brew Belt? The *ideal* temp range for WLP013 is 66-71 degrees, but I didn't figure it'd crap out entirely if it was a bit lower...

Also, I'd heard re-using the same batch of yeast more than once is a bad idea. Do people do it?

Back