Is my Wyeast okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatz85

Reaction score
Using Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager. Usually, from my experience, Wyeast takes a couple hours to swell. This didn't do anything for a whole day or more. Finally, after 2 days I'd say its half swollen, maybe a little more. It was shipped in over 100 degree weather and I didn't refrigerate it for a few days after it came in b/c my g/f put the box away and didn't to tell me it came in (but that's besides the point). Is this safe to use or should I tell the company to send me more?

Thanks guys! I youtubed yeast starter kit, don't have any DME, have some LME that came w/ the recipe kit, can I use a little of that or will that throw off the beer? Also, the packet is almost fully swollen now, is it safe to use?

If you can run to the lhbs to get some more malt extract I would do that. Your going to need to make a starter anyway. Lagers generally need more yeast than ales and most people on this forum will recommend you step it up regardless of whether the pack inflated quickly.
You could use the lme you already have, it shouldn't affect the abv if you pitch the starter wort into the beer, but you won't be able to take an accurate og reading.

Thanks man! Unfortunately don't have a LHBS, live in a small town in central IL, but will use the LME. Sorry for the rookie question, basically am at the point where I just follow instructions but am slowing learning brew science. Appreciate the help and knowledge.

Back