Is my starter okay? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
So, I had a vial of WLP060 sitting around for a while which I intended to use but never got around to doing so. I plan on brewing this upcoming Wednesday, and thought it was a good time to use this yeast. I question whether it is still good though. Here are the facts.

WLP060
Best Before: 20 Nov 2011 (production 4 months earlier according to packaging)
Stored refrigerated

I checked Mr. Malty and he told me for my gravity/gallons I needed a 4 liter starter using 1 vial on a stir plate. Last night I made some starter wort, 1 gallon worth, and pitched my vial into about 1600 ml of wort at 11pm last night on a stir plate.

Photos - Picture 1 was taken at 12 noon on Monday, and picture 2 was taken at 9pm on Monday night.

My question is thus: The yeast in this starter is obviously active, do I need to worry about pitching this into the rest of the wort that I made?

Can't see the pics. Why do you have doubts? Is it the activity or the expiration date that concerns you? Should be ok if active.

Can't see the pictures. I am doing a high gravity beer and mrmalty wanted a starter too large for my equipment. I am doing a 2 step starter calculated on this site:

YeastCalc Yeast Calculator

It gave a .7 Liter step then a .8 Liter step. It looked like I had a pretty good amount after the cold crash on the first step.

Brewing a 1.073 Winter Warmer Ale tomorrow using WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast.
It's an all grain recipe I found online by Mason His description said that he aged it in a lager fridge for 6 months. I hope I don't have to wait that long.

Can't see the pics. Why do you have doubts? Is it the activity or the expiration date that concerns you? Should be ok if active.

Sorry about the pictures. Check the new link, should be working.
The fact that it's past the "best before" date is what concerns me, but when I threw it into the starter the yeast took off like normal. I think I'm fine without doing the 2nd step starter.

Latest posts

Back