Is my starter infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made this starter a couple of days ago, from some US05 that I washed around 3 weeks ago. I put it in the fridge overnight last night to get the yeast out of suspension before stepping the starter up today.

Does the white foam on top look like an infection? I stepped it up nonetheless, but I do not want to pitch it into a wort if it is infected.

What do you think?

image-3285230742.jpg

Looks like a fungal of some sort. Take a bit of it to the local college, high school or hospital and ask then to take a look at it under a microscope. I find most folks very Accommodating if you explain what your doing and what your looking for.

That happens to me too. It's just the yeast still doing its stuff regardless of the colder temperatures. Carbon dioxide bubbles and a touch of krausen is my guess.

Smell and taste the starter 'beer'.

Nugent said:
That happens to me too. It's just the yeast still doing its stuff regardless of the colder temperatures. Carbon dioxide bubbles and a touch of krausen is my guess.

Smell and taste the starter 'beer'.

If it tastes ok, shall I pitch it?

Back