Is my saison infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
I've been brewing for 3 years, and I've never seen this in my bottles before. What do you guys think?

It tastes fine. It's a little funky, but I expected that with a saison.

1405995043471.jpg

It's hard to tell with the brown glass. From what I can tell, it looks white and it's floating on top. When I disturb it, sediment (looks like yeast particles) falls down.

It's hard to tell with the brown glass. From what I can tell, it looks white and it's floating on top. When I disturb it, sediment (looks like yeast particles) falls down.
that could be a pellicle, or not.

have you ever brewed with brett? maybe some brett got in there...

in the end, the only thing that matters is taste. if it tastes good, don't worry about it.

I've never brewed with Brett. It tastes fine now, but like I said it's only 10 days in the bottle. I'm not so much worried about the infection, I'm more worried about bottle bombs.

Here's a better picture.

Have you poured some beer form the bottle pictured? If not that is too much head space.
Pour one of the beers in a sanitized pilsner glass. Cover with sanitized foil and let it sit away from strong light for a few days. If it is infected a strong pellicle will form across the surface.

Have you poured some beer form the bottle pictured? If not that is too much head space.
Pour one of the beers in a sanitized pilsner glass. Cover with sanitized foil and let it sit away from strong light for a few days. If it is infected a strong pellicle will form across the surface.

No, it's a bomber, so it has more head space. It was easier to see in the bombers. I'll definitely try what you said. Thanks for the tip.

if you're worried about bottle bombs, be sure to open a bottle on a regular basis. while they're still carbing up i would open one every few days, after 3 weeks you can taper off to once a week.

if you notice that the carbonation is increasing and you're almost getting gushers, it's time to either refrigerate the bottles or drink them quickly.

No, it's a bomber, so it has more head space. It was easier to see in the bombers. I'll definitely try what you said. Thanks for the tip.
How do you fill your bottles? A bottling wand will leave the appropriate head space in bottles of any volume.
Just a thought because to much head space can cause some oxidation before the beer is fully carbed.

How do you fill your bottles? A bottling wand will leave the appropriate head space in bottles of any volume.
Just a thought because to much head space can cause some oxidation before the beer is fully carbed.

I use a bottle wand. Fill to the top, then pull the wand out.

Back