Is my pump food grade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
I have a Dayton 3wy83 circulating pump:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/97910/Dayton_SM-1212-NHW-26_Circulator_Pump

"The housing and impeller material is made of Noryl resin which is as the manufacturer states:

The NORYL family of modified PPE resins consists of amorphous blends of PPO™ resin (polyphenylene ether) and polystyrene. They combine the inherent benefits of PPO resin (affordable high heat resistance, good electrical properties, excellent hydrolytic stability and the ability to use non-halogen FR packages), with excellent dimensional stability, good processibility and low specific gravity.

NORYL resins offer a good balance of mechanical and chemical properties, and may be suitable for a wide variety of applications."

I can not find if this is food grade or not. I'm using it to transfer room temp Reverse Osmosis water post mineral treatment to mash and lauter tuns. Any help here?

simple answer is NOPE if it was it would state so..

for room temp water its a pretty safe bet to say its fine. if you pull the head off you might find the head is not sealed and the water or liquid actually comes in direct contact with the motor magnet Which again shouldnt be a big deal but if it does it cant be certified food grade. all true food grade pumps either have seal magnetically coupled heads or encapsulated sealed magnets.

Back