Is my Hefeweizen off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
so it's been 19 days since it was put in primary... I bottled them today.

Although there was no visible sign of lactose infection such as thin layer of film, but when I opened the top to clean in, there was some not so pleasant smell that was tart-ish and somewhat 'stinging' on my nose.

Thanks in advance.

What was the ambient temp during fermentation and did you use any sort of temp control? Hefeweizen yeast has a VERY specific smell. Not really very good either.

I recommend fermenting in the low to mid 60s (internal temp), and only for about 10 days before bottling/kegging. Hefeweizen doesn't need 19 days, in fact it's sorta counterproductive. You don't want that style of beer to clarify, the yeast is what gives it the flavor.

Scrape a clump of the yeast off the side of the fermenter and smell it, is that what you are smelling? (assuming you haven't cleaned it which you probably have)

My Hefe does have that distinct smell, but it smells more like Hoegaarden than Hefe.

My guess is if you ferment colder and shorter you'll alleviate some of that smell. Still not sure how the bavarian breweries have zero of that aroma in their beer. Guess they have had plenty of practice :p

Back