Is my fermentation stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin.rios.48640324

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m just getting into brewing as a hobby I’m using northern brewer’s starter kit. Couldn’t get the wort to cool very quickly and I had to leave the house. So rather than pitch the yeast at 88° I let it sit for 2 hours while I was out and pitched at 74° Then stuck the primary fermenter in a closet. This time of year it’s staying between 70-75 in that area. I’m not seeing bubbles in the airlock or any kraeusen. I’m afraid either the yeast never activated or fermentation stuck very early. I don’t have a hydrometer so I can’t check gravity. Should I just stop being cheap and get one? Or is their another way I can verify lack of or stalled fermentation? Thanks.

How long has it been. Don't get too worried until 3 days after pitching the yeast. Depending on the freshness of the yeast, how it was prepared and the cell counts pitched the yeast may be reproducing first until reaching sufficient numbers to fully ferment the wort.

I would also look into getting the temperature down. Fermentation creates heat and 70 degrees is the upper limit for most ale yeasts. I shoot for mid sixties for most ales. That would be the temperature of the fermenting beer, not the air.

Get the hydrometer, you really should have one. For this reason, it would tell you whether the wort is fermenting. You will also want one if you care what the alcohol content of your beers are. They are not that expensive, get a sample tube also.

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

Often times just dumping a sachet of dry yeast can a day or two to start showing signs of active fermentation.

And stop being cheap. Buy a hydrometer. Gravity readings or visible signs of activity are the only way to track fermentation.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I pitched 10 days ago. Picked up a hydrometer this morning and got a reading of about 1.02. Because I didn’t get an OG measurement I don’t know if there has been any real change. Am I correct in assuming that my wort would have started at around 1.05? Given this reading I think fermentation took place without much evidence and I should be ready to bottle in just less than a week. But I don’t want to screw this up. Thanks again for the input and all yalls wisdom.

The kit would give an estimated starting and finishing gravity. If your within 2 or 3 points of the finishing gravity it's done. If it's higher than the estimated og you could gently stir your fermenter with a sanatized spoon and move the bucket to a slightly warmer room. Give it 2 or 3 more days and check it again. If it doesn't change its done and ready to be bottled.

Back