is my ferment stuck???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterX

Reaction score
my beer quit being real active after 24 hrs.
by 24 hrs after it started going it is clear of foam and now at just over 48 its barely bubbling

recipe is here exept i changed hops to .75 oz of each saaz us and northern brewer according to brewtarget it works and is balanced recipe at link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oskar-blues-old-chub-clone-byo-303487/

my fermenter it at 71-72 witch is the top of what wyeast says should be when i looked im not sure if that was maybe the issue the yeast died? this is my 3rd batch and i dont want to be my first ruined batch
did have hop resins and such on top of foam when it was dying down not mold or anything it diddnt seem smells fine im not sure what else to add here i been exited to get this batch brewing for a while and am scared

ok i also maybe should add it went in the fermenter a bit to warm so i waited till next morning to pitch yeast when it was at correct temp

Most brewers suggest cooling the wort and pitching as quickly as possible. That said you're still probably fine but waiting so long to pitch increases your chances of infection. If you don't have a wort chiller go with an ice bath.

You need to take a hydro reading to find out your sg before you can determine anything. Wait at least 2 weeks before you do this.

Without a gravity reading you have no idea if the fermentation is stuck. Airlock activity means nothing more than gas is venting out which could be the result of anything from bumping the vessel to changes in pressure and temperature. Take a reading and see where it's at.

That's not a huge beer. 7 days is not unheard of for ale fermented that warm. I don't know much about that yeast, but I generally ferment at the lower end of the recommended range and that includes the heat that the yeast make themselves. Your 71-72 degrees air temp was probably 75 or more inside the fermenter due to the yeast doing their thing.

That may not be a "problem" per se. I don't see anything unusual going on. Sounds like a normal fermentation to me. I'd probably let it sit for a week before cold crashing for a few days to help settle the stuff to the bottom, or rack to a secondary if you like, and wait the week.

well using a fermometer and says 69-70 optimal temp im goin to rack off then cold crash and bottle tomorrow i dont use a secondary

now its at day 7 adn i checked its completely done im confused

Sorry, you have not updated with any gravity reading to confirm it is in fact done fermenting. As to your last post, if you do not secondary I would suggest you wait 1 additional week for the yeast to clean up as you fermented at the high end of its range and allow the beer to clear. 7 days IMO is just too soon to jump to bottling regardless of how fast you think this fermented.

If you jump into bottling too soon without confirming final gravity and cleaning up you are not allowing the chance of any off flavors to be cleaned up, the beer to clear and increasing the odds of potential bottle bombs.

First rule of brewing is to exercise PATIENCE:fro:

ok i also maybe should add it went in the fermenter a bit to warm so i waited till next morning to pitch yeast when it was at correct temp

I do this with all my beers now. You're good to go. Just leave it alone and let it do its job. The yeast know better than us.

Back