Is my cider infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexis3512

Reaction score
So I recently finished my first brew ever! It was a 5 gallon batch of strawberry pear cider using a mangrove jacks kit from Northern brewing. After fermentation it sat for an additional week in the primary as I was waiting for bottles to arrive. After sanitization of all my equipment using star San I racked my first brew into my bottles and am bottle conditioning them . I also added carbonation drops . Inside my bottle I have what looks like dandruff floating in the bottles. There seems to be some stuck at the shoulders of the bottles as well. Does anybody know what this is ? Also there seems to be almost like a layer of oily or hazy substance taking up about 1/8 inches from the top of the cider. I took a couple pictures but can't get the oily haze to show up as I was having a hard time getting my camera to focus!

Attachments

• 20210602_164131.jpg
    20210602_164131.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210602_164157.jpg
    20210602_164157.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 24
Did you add crushed campden tablets? I often end up with residual campden that hasn't dissolved floating on top of my primary ferment. Anything that floats or sinks doesn't make it to the secondary carboy.

Agree with @Chalkyt could be form the campden tablets if you used them

I have seen others on the forum with similar questions when using carbonation drops. They tend to think its the gelatin that binds the sugar or the case from the drop itself. I cant say for sure as I have never used them. So take it with a grain of salt / or for what its worth.

I would open one.
- Look at it (If "fuzzy" that's a good sign its infected.)
- Smell it
- Taste it
If infected will definitely taste "off"

Back