Is my cider infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

It's my first time brewing cider and I only used apple juice 100%
It's been two weeks and my cider went down from 1.042 to 1.002 (using safale-04) , but today, when ready to start secondary fermentation, found that it had like a film in the surface and some strange bubbles. Really don't know.

Please, somebody help me!

Attachments

• 20190427_213246.jpg
    20190427_213246.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190427_213257.jpg
    20190427_213257.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 67
I'm note sure. If your fermenting vessel was clean it is unlikely you are infected since you were using bottled juice.

Have you tasted it? What does it smell like? The smell and taste tests are usually all you need.

Well, it actually tasted dry, noticed flavour of sulfurs and didn't get any magnific taste at all. But I supposed it's normal with just two weeks and no sugar left.

I would say your cider is fine. A little sulfur taste is normal without any aging. I don't mind just a little of it.

Let it sit another week. Then, if you are sure its done, bottle her up. You can drink it now, or let it settle for a month or so.

Welcome to the world of cidery!

The film is called a pellicle.
It indicated the presence of wild yeast and /or bacteria.

Not really anything to worry about.
Take standard precautions to avoid oxygen exposure.
Sulfite helps to control wild microbes, although wild microbes can certainly be delicious.
Clean your equipment thoroughly after use to make sure it doesn't contaminate future batches.

Cheers

Back